OS9 - About This Computer >>>>>

A

Aquarius xx1

Hi there ,

first post and i'm already asking for advice ... sorry !

problem is :
i've just bought a dual boot 1.25Ghz MDD G4 w/2gb RAM .
whilst in OS9 i look to see how much memory is being used by the OS (under 'About This Computer') ... and it says 574 MB !!!
Is that normal ?

i've checked the Extensions folder .. it only contains 152MB of Extensions .. so i don't think it's that ....
the whole System Folder is only 562MB (don't think it's that) .

does anyone else run a dual boot system similar to mine ? ... if so , it would be really handy if you could let me know if this is abnormal .

much appreciated .
hopefully i can help someone out somewhere in the future too .

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I have not booted my system in OS 9 in a long time. I have OS 9.2.2 on my system. After booting. This is what I get.

Mac OS 55.3 MB

I have a total of 768MB of memory.

You maybe using only 57.4MB

OP
A

Aquarius xx1

rman said:
I have not booted my system in OS 9 in a long time. I have OS 9.2.2 on my system. After booting. This is what I get.

Mac OS 55.3 MB

I have a total of 768MB of memory.

You maybe using only 57.4MB

that would certainly be a schoolboy error if true rman !
:blind:

it's definitely 562.4 (although it fluctuates slightly) .

I'm going to look for invisible files on the desktop ... maybe something is lurking in the background .

any more thoughts ??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac 1gb RAM 80gb HD, Superdrive, iPod video 30gb
When in OS X what are you getting when you check the about this mac bit?

OP
A

Aquarius xx1

makwanad said:
When in OS X what are you getting when you check the about this mac bit?

there isn't an 'about this computer' option as far as i can tell mate ...
or rather , there is ... but it doesn't cover the same thing .
i don't know what the OS X equivalent is to be honest and i've been through everything . ???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
The screen you are looking at only tells you how much memory you are using. To see how much memory is available go to the system profiler (in the apple menu usually) or go to the memory control pannel.

To change the memory allocation for an application (you have to do this mannually) single click the app. and go to file>>get info, then click the memory tab and enter whatever numbers you want for minimum and maximum memory. Most apps have default memory settings that make them run slower than if you increase the memory allocation.

Hope that helps

OP
A

Aquarius xx1

jhelm007 said:
The screen you are looking at only tells you how much memory you are using. To see how much memory is available go to the system profiler (in the apple menu usually) or go to the memory control pannel.

To change the memory allocation for an application (you have to do this mannually) single click the app. and go to file>>get info, then click the memory tab and enter whatever numbers you want for minimum and maximum memory. Most apps have default memory settings that make them run slower than if you increase the memory allocation.

Hope that helps

Ok - thanks for your reply 007 - but it doesn't really answer the question .

My question was 'why is the Operating System using up so much memory ???

Is it normal for a dual boot machine's OS to use 562.4 MB of RAM ?

**** - Just to be clear ... that's with *NO programmes running* ... just the OS . I'm starting to think maybe there are invisible programmes running in the background ... is that possible ??!!! :confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
Sorry, I misread your question. It does seem like a lot of memory for the system to be using since most computers running OS 9 didn't even have that much memory. My only guess is that the memory allotment for the system scales with the ammount of memory installed for some reason. As I say though this is just a guess. If everything is running fine its probably normal. I hope you can find a difinitive answer though. Good luck.

OP
A

Aquarius xx1

jhelm007 said:
Sorry, I misread your question. It does seem like a lot of memory for the system to be using since most computers running OS 9 didn't even have that much memory. My only guess is that the memory allotment for the system scales with the ammount of memory installed for some reason. As I say though this is just a guess. If everything is running fine its probably normal. I hope you can find a difinitive answer though. Good luck.

no worries 007 ,
thanks again for the reply ,
i'll just keep asking around :headphone

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.