PDA

View Full Version : new education mac

MAC-simus
05-30-2006, 06:04 AM
apple insider reports that apple is working on new mac for education, that will replace eMac and have iMac style design.

they do not offer any specs but I think it's not hard to figure out.
I'd expect

iMac case and motherboard (will save apple the design costs)

1.5 core solo or 1.66 core duo (iMac CPU is socketed so it will make it even easier for apple to use existed MB)

combo or super drive (BTO)

80-160 HDD

integrated graphics

512 RAm

no wireless or blue tooth.

799$ - 999$

pbook24
05-30-2006, 09:45 AM
i would be surprised if it didn't include wireless. My school when we had macs all ran wirelessly because it was neater.

Jeremy W
05-30-2006, 10:34 AM
I too would think it would have an Airport Card. That way they can sell Base Stations too.

yogi
05-30-2006, 11:55 AM
No wireless in a school environment would be downright stupid. Think of all the cables the school would have to purchase. Our school has a wireless network at about 80% of campus, and anyone can access it with their account and password.
The network is basically setup by a huge array of airport stations and iBooks, all data is stored on a 10TB Xserve RAID in the basement. We have a 6kbps connection to the internet.

All wireless. All with iBooks and eMacs. (the teachers get to use iMacs, but only 17" muahaha)

MJGUK
05-30-2006, 12:54 PM
No wireless in a school environment would be downright stupid.
QFE!

This sounds like a good idea as a replacement for the eMac - Very feasable.

iBeldar
05-31-2006, 01:16 AM
Was the eMac really an educational mac? I always thought it was more of a budget mac, until the Mini was released.

My school doesn't have wireless. In fact, the whole county runs on ONE 10 MB/S connection. It is slowwwwwwww. I have teachers I know that bring their own laptops and hook up their dial up because its faster. They've been trying to get wireless, but the system is very poor. So when I bring the iBook, I have to steal an ethernet cable from one of the busted computers, because theres always at least one that doesnt work in each room.

iWonder
05-31-2006, 01:26 AM
- My school has macs everywhere, all networked, everything. We have emacs in the computer lab. iMac g3s in classrooms for the teachers. If the teachers need to give presentations they would bring in a projector and an iBook or if the students need to use laptops they bring in a cart full of iBooks. I believe we have 3 carts full of 20 laptops. Wireless is great. I can even bring in my laptop and surf the web.

-why would the emac look like an imac? i thought the point of having the emac as it was was so that the students don't tip it and such. And woulden't consumers buy it and think they are getting the iMac and then COMPLAIN that its not great?

to_tough_to_die
05-31-2006, 03:27 AM
Was the eMac really an educational mac? I always thought it was more of a budget mac, until the Mini was released.

No, the "e" stood for "earl".

wicker_man
05-31-2006, 06:50 AM
I think a good design for the new eMac will be similar to the current iMac, but have a kind of deeper curved back and a flat base (no metal stand), which would make it stable (but not as deep as the eMac).

And a 1.66GHz Core Duo, 512mb ram, 80GB hdd, 17" widescreen and airport extreme will be a nice base config.

The college I go to runs a couple of hunderd Dell desktops on wired 100mbps ethernet, and about 20 Rock laptops on wirless in the physics department. I'm not too sure about any other departments.

My secondary school ran Dells on a Celeron server, and as expected, it crashed and went slow all the time. Luckily they had a wireless network and I used to take my ThinkPad to use (I wasn't a Mac convert then).

MAC-simus
05-31-2006, 07:20 AM
I have seen it..........

well not really, but www.engadget.com ha a funny fake photo

MAC-simus
05-31-2006, 07:36 AM
and this is my "widescreen" version:)

wicker_man
05-31-2006, 10:07 AM
I like it!

The widescreen version looks quite good with the triangular kinda shape.

poohfighter
05-31-2006, 03:41 PM
this is really cool, will it be available for the public or just schools.

MJGUK
05-31-2006, 05:11 PM
this is really cool, will it be available for the public or just schools.
Both I would imagine?
Same as the eMac has always been, or at least to my knowledge.

MAC-simus
05-31-2006, 05:15 PM
Both I would imagine?
actuelly at first emac was exclusivly for educational market. apple releaced it to general public bit later.

to_tough_to_die
05-31-2006, 05:21 PM
Both I would imagine?

The eMac was originaly only marketed toward education, but was released for the public a month after it came out because of demand.

MJGUK
05-31-2006, 05:24 PM
Ah righty, got ya.

But then presumably they would just follow the trend of previous times and release this one to the public right at the start?

to_tough_to_die
05-31-2006, 05:27 PM
Ah righty, got ya.

But then presumably they would just follow the trend of previous times and release this one to the public right at the start?

I don't see why not.

I think Apple has a major void in their product line without a Mac at the $900-$1000 range. You have so many people just stuck who can't decide wether or not to buy a Mini Core Duo or an iMac.

MJGUK
05-31-2006, 05:32 PM
I don't see why not.

I think Apple has a major void in their product line without a Mac at the $900-$1000 range. You have so many people just stuck who can't decide wether or not to buy a Mini Core Duo or an iMac.
Indeed and of course with the Mini you don't have the screen/sounds etc - So I'm sure they'd push quite a lot of units if they released a refreshed/new eMac :)

to_tough_to_die
05-31-2006, 05:49 PM
Indeed and of course with the Mini you don't have the screen/sounds etc - So I'm sure they'd push quite a lot of units if they released a refreshed/new eMac :)

The main issue I had with the eMac was it's cost comparitive to the Mini. $300 over the Mini of the same specs for a CRT and a keyboard and mouse set? Not exactly worth it.

MJGUK
05-31-2006, 06:50 PM
Yep well I think if they do release a new version (which I suspect they will), it will probably be more economically competitive in comparison to the rest of the product range.
More than anything, the old eMac was just.....well....Old? :P
They had continuously refreshed it, but at the end of the day now it needs a full re-design in my opinion.

to_tough_to_die
05-31-2006, 06:55 PM
Yep well I think if they do release a new version (which I suspect they will), it will probably be more economically competitive in comparison to the rest of the product range.
More than anything, the old eMac was just.....well....Old? :P
They had continuously refreshed it, but at the end of the day now it needs a full re-design in my opinion.

I think the main issue was the CRT. An LCD would've made it that much better.

MAC-simus
06-01-2006, 03:48 AM
right now LCD would be more cost effective than CRT. LCD prices have dropped significantly for last couple of years. plus it will greatly affect the weight and size, therefore shipping cost.

to_tough_to_die
06-01-2006, 04:17 AM
right now LCD would be more cost effective than CRT. LCD prices have dropped significantly for last couple of years. plus it will greatly affect the weight and size, therefore shipping cost.

A) But my point was that the cost of an eMac over that of buying an eMac comparitive to a G4 Mini with a CRT and keyboard+mouse was a joke.

B) Not just shipping costs, but an LCD cuts donw on energy costs and when you look at a computer lab full of LCDs comparitive to CRTs, the cost of air conditioning is more than worthwhile.

lonerider
06-02-2006, 04:50 AM
The main issue I had with the eMac was it's cost comparitive to the Mini. $300 over the Mini of the same specs for a CRT and a keyboard and mouse set? Not exactly worth it.

Well, I have to disagree. I paid $799 for my eMac. It is both faster than a mini (faster HDD, faster GPU) and more expandable (2 ram slots vs 1). Plus the all in one is neater than a mini as there are very few cables involved.

I've thought for a long time that apple needs an $800 ready to go system. For the last year the closest thing that could fill this bill has been the iBook, and the iBook was also slower than the comparative eMac.

I think the eMac died largely because it could not be sold at the low prices with core duo technology in it. However, intel is significantly lowering cost of core duos so it is now practical once again.