connecting macs

S

steve zissou

i was hoping to get the new imac soon. and im great wihen it comes to actually working with computers and macs once they are set up, but am a zombie when it comes to setting them up. we unfortunately use pcs at my house but macs :]] at school and im adoring their os. would i need to get an apple modem to connect to the internet? the macs at school dont have a modem in sight but it might be connected to a server modem type thingy? not sure? and if i do, what would i get for an "isp"(as my dad calls it)? something like roadrunner for macs? but i still want to be able to use safari cause its great. help would be great. thanks guys/gals.
would i just be able to plug in the mac and connect to the internet?

ps: hope you can understand the questions

o, another edit, if i get it i would soon after like to get final cut express, macromedia studio, and all the iwork/ilife stuff. ill be editing a lot of video. and doing a lot of school reports (thanks to college classes in 10th grade) would i need/should i get the 500gb hard drive? it would be nice but im already pushing it by getting the 20" screen. suggestions?

final edit i almost promise. what exactly does a modem do? an ethernet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2GHz 250 GB 2 GB RAM 256 MB VRAM, 80 GB 5.5G iPod, 8 GB iPhone
Your school gets their Internet a different way then you would get it at home. Find out what ISP (Internet Service Providers; ie: RoadRunner) are in your area. They will typically offer one of three type of common Internet connections:

Dial-Up - slow connection over your phone line; requires a modem
Cable - fast connection over your Cable TV line; uses Ethernet wich is build into the Mac
DSL - fast digital connection over your phone line, also uses Ethernet to the computer or Mac

Your Internet connection will work with both PCs and Macs. You can also get a router to share your Internet with your PC and your Mac.

OP
S

steve zissou

so since roadrunner is an isp in my area they will come out and have their incompetant techs hook my mac up? so id use a modem to get a cable connection? im confused and tommorrow im going to compusa to talk to a mac guy so dont stress out trying to explain this to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2GHz 250 GB 2 GB RAM 256 MB VRAM, 80 GB 5.5G iPod, 8 GB iPhone
RoadRunner will install your house with cable and provide you with a cable modem (I'm assuming) which is different then a dial-up modem you have the option of buying with your Mac that you won't need to buy. The rest should be plug and play. Plug an Ethernet cord from your cable modem to your Mac, and you should be on the Internet in seconds. You shouldn't need one of their techs to touch your computer, just to set up the modem and make sure it's online.

OP
S

steve zissou

ok. thanks very much. i needed to understand how to make a mac fart to convince my skeptical dad to "waste his time" on getting one. he will be begging me to let him use it haha. thanks again

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.