using iSight to communicate with windows users

M

melange

I recently switched to an iBook from a windows laptop and am very happy with it. Since both me and my sister are going away for university/boarding school, my family is looking into webcams so that we can communicate. Of course I would very much like to get the iSight. However my parents and sister are still using windows computers, thus unable to use iChat AV. Does the iSight work with any other messaging service like AIM, MSN or YAHOO? It is important for us that both the video and audio work. Any insights or suggestions? Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I believe that Yahoo Messenger works with iSight. I don't think the quality is as high as with iChat AV but its functional

OP
M

melange

trpnmonkey41 said:
I believe that Yahoo Messenger works with iSight. I don't think the quality is as high as with iChat AV but its functional

Well what I've heard about Yahoo messenger is that the video works but there's no audio. Is this true?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I have never tried it. I am guessing that even if the audio isn't through the iSight itself you could get audio from your iBook microphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Yes you can do video with Yahoo on Mac, but not audio. I don't think there is a perfect solution at this point. Hopefully AIM will connect with iChat AV soon!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
Yeah, there isn't an Audio chat on Mac's Yahoo Instant Messenger.

Nor is there Chat support... ggggrrrrrrr :p

sKaD

OP
S

StarManta

Also, the Yahoo webcam "feature" runs at roughly 1 frame per second or less. Apple should set their sights (no puns intended) on iChat AV for Windows. That would do for the iSight what the iTunes Music Store did for the iPod.

OP
C

CMBlechar

The windows uncompatability is pretty much what is holding me back from the iSight. Please let me know when windows catches up.

OP
M

melange

Darn... I guess I'll have to look at other webcams for the moment. Any recommendations? Hows the iBot and its communcation with window's users?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
its not a hardware issue. the yahoo software does not support audio on macs.

but there is hope!

VChat is a CU-Seeme client for OS X that works with the iSight. and your family can get the windows CU Seemee client from their sight

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.