A review after my first week with mac and what I''m missing

A

AMacSoon

Hi there !

I have my Mac Mini (2 GB, Dual Core) for over a week now and ... it's fantastic! I can do whatever I was able to to on my Windows Box ... only faster, as I don't have to spend hours with tweaking, tooling and so forth.

My Mac Mini *just works* :)

Two things I am missing (probably because I haven't found them so far) :

- A Flowcharting app to create programm-flow-charts
- A decent Divx Encoder supporting two (!) AC3 Sound tracks

I have found lot's of great MP4 encoders, which encode a recorded TV show (45 minutes) in less then 15 minutes! But I am missing an encoding app, which allows me to encode a divx with two sounds (languages) in AC3 multichannel (Note that I am not talking about ripping here!)

ffmpegX only can do one sound (language) in AC3 and I only get stereo (not multichannel) and all the others just create mp4 files. DivX Encoder only produces MP3 sound. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Unless I'm mistaken I think OmniGraffle is a flow charting program, and it should come with your mac for free (well one of the previous versions anyway, you have to pay the omni group if you want the latest and greatest). Check your applications folder, if not do a google and check out omnigraffle and see if its worth the price.

As for the encoder, I can't help, and if no one else can then I'd make a post somewhere on this forum --> http://forum.videohelp.com/ , if they can't help you there then it probably can't be done at the moment!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
AMacSoon said:
- A decent Divx Encoder supporting two (!) AC3 Sound tracks

I have found lot's of great MP4 encoders, which encode a recorded TV show (45 minutes) in less then 15 minutes! But I am missing an encoding app, which allows me to encode a divx with two sounds (languages) in AC3 multichannel (Note that I am not talking about ripping here!)

ffmpegX only can do one sound (language) in AC3 and I only get stereo (not multichannel) and all the others just create mp4 files. DivX Encoder only produces MP3 sound. Any ideas?

I'm glad that you enjoy your mini. I bought mine two weeks ago and loving it from day one.

Check this App. for AC3 encoding.

Sorry I have no idea about "programm-flow-charts" software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
VT is a good place to start for any other apps. it doesn't have everything, but it has almost something for everything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
I don't think OmniGraffle comes with Mac, but the whole group is worth the money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
DCraver said:
I don't think OmniGraffle comes with Mac, but the whole group is worth the money.
OmniGraffle is sometimes bundled with the Pro-line Macs, but not the consumer lines (like the Mini). It did come in the bundle with my PowerBook.

Reaction score
Indiana; there's more than just corn here
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67 MHz
D3v1L80Y said:
OmniGraffle is sometimes bundled with the Pro-line Macs, but not the consumer lines (like the Mini). It did come in the bundle with my PowerBook.

It came with my PowerBook and its great for computer programming if you are the type to use flow charts

Reaction score
D3v1L80Y said:

Ah you must be right because I have a powerbook too!

OP
A

AMacSoon

zeta101 said:
Unless I'm mistaken I think OmniGraffle is a flow charting program, and it should come with your mac for free

Must have been the previous ones. On my Macintel mini I only have OmniOutliner ..

Thanx anyway!

OP
A

AMacSoon

D3v1L80Y said:

If it's worth the money (for me!!) I'll gladely pay for it. I'll have a look at it

If there only wasn't so much great software for the mac ... :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.