Scanner problem

Reaction score
Hi, I have a Canon N1240U usb scanner. I just hooked it up to my new iMac and it was not even detected. So I went to the canon site and downloaded the mac drivers for this particular scanner and still nothing. I downloaded gimpshop and tried scanning through it and that program couldn't even detect the scanner was hooked up to the computer. I'm sure it's something simple, but what am I doing wrong here?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Ya know, it's odd you say that. I just plugged in my Canon N676U scanner in for the first time in over a year. As soon as I plugged it in the CanonScan program popped up and I scanned away. It's never done that before.

Did you download the cannon scan software along with he drivers?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Ya, but it scanned, so I wasn't worried about what it looked like.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
paulgroovy said:
it's not happening. Maybe I'm doing something wrong or it can't find the driver.
sorry if this sounds overly stupid.... have tried unplugging it, plugging it back in, turning of the power, restarting the computer and all that stuff? Just checking.

OP
P
Reaction score
Well the scanner is usb powered. And yes I have rebooted the computer several times to see if that would help. Is there a hardware detection utility somewhere in this thing.? Maybe that would help

Reaction score
paulgroovy said:
Well the scanner is usb powered. And yes I have rebooted the computer several times to see if that would help. Is there a hardware detection utility somewhere in this thing.? Maybe that would help

Might not work, but just for the heck of it try a different scanner program. I have used a program called VueScan for quite a while now and every scanner i have tried with it just works without having to download specific drivers. It would be worth a try... you can find the VueScan program at:

http://www.versiontracker.com/macosx/

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
James is correct, try VueScan. I did a lot of searching on Google and Canon refuses to make a proper driver for OSX for your printer. VueScan should pick it up. It's a pay program, but you can try it for free to see if it works. It has with every problem scanner so far.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
The Canon scanners are not even fully supported by VueScan (or at least not the version I have) and I never managed to get my Canon scanner working after OSX 10.2.

I got so fed up with the whole thing that I bought a HP Scanjet 4850 which works like a dream.

Amen-Moses

OP
P
Reaction score
Thankyou for the help gentlemen. I did download vuescana and tried. At first it kept hanging and coming back after I'd do a force quit so I had to shut the computer down. I tried again and it scans very very slowly. In the description it states it for the powerpc macs and I have a new intel mac. Are there any other options out there. Surely there must be something.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.