• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Question About Video Processing

P

plaque

my dad works for the government and gets this thing where you can get computers and gadgets through payroll deduction and what not.

next semester i am studying in japan, and a laptop is the only plausible way to go... and my current computer is kind of old anyway. Until now i've been doing all my video processing at a lab with Mac's and what not so i don't really know much about the specs or what kind of computers they are.

Question:
The 1 mac (for some reason only 1) they have in this offer is an A1000.
the processor is a G4 at 1.2 ghz

I'm guessing this isn't the number choice for graphics processing, but i don't think i can afford the super high end models just yet. I'll be working with Final Cut Pro 4 HD (I think it's the hd version). My question is will this give me enough processing power to do video editing, and is this type of Mac a good investment for video processing? I know all the other specs like memory and hard-drive are fine.

Also are macs easily upgradeable?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
It's not the best choice, but I've edited 3 hours of video on a 1Ghz eMac G4 perfectly fine. It's going to be slow, but if you're patient, it should do you just fine.

Don't expect to get too far with HD content, though.

RAM and hard drives are fairly easy to upgrade on the G4s. I don't know about the video cards, though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Mackbook 2g ram 2ghz, g3 powerPC 600Mhz, 30g video pod
it will work but it will be slow

OP
M

MarcsmaN

Slow as snail but the results are good though(of course, incomparable w/ the the best we have these days).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.