PS2 Backups?

D

djmalachi

So now that I sucessfully backed up my copy of The Last Emperor, I was wondering if the process to backup a PS2 disc is similar to the DVDBackup/DVD2One routine.

Does anyone know the process to create a data-dvd hybrid for use with a modded playstation 2? Is this sort of backup illegal? Does Toast 6 support a data/dvd burn similar to the data/audio combo seen with CDRs and the PS1?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20-inch iMac, 1GB RAM, 160 GB hard drive
To copy a PS2 game (if that's what you mean), just do a regular CD/DVD copy with Toast 6. So far, it's worked for me; I have copied "Hitman: Contracts" and "True Crime: Streets of LA". However, both of these were less than 4.7 GB to begin with, but occasionally you will run into one that's over 4.7 GB (example: "Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance" is 6 GB). So far, I don't know what to do to shrink the file. I also wasn't able to save it as an image file because of an input/output error.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2Ghz SR MBP
Dual Layer!!`

To truly copy PS2 songs you need a dual layer DVD Burner. Buy a NEC one, they are really good.

OP
D

d4rr3n

There are hardly any dual layered ps2 games. You could probably count them all on 1 hand.

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
If you want to backup games, there is a utillity out there called "HD Loader." It's US $35. You need an IDE hard drive and a Network Adapter for the PS2. Any IDE hard drive will work, not just the PS2 hard drive in FFXI. You can pick up a 120 gig IDE hard drive, and store 40-50 games on it. You can also play the games directly from the hard drive. Just don't play online when you do that, Sony doesn't like that.

http://www.hdloader.com/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does the system need to be modified for that to work? Can the hard drive connect to the USB port?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
beret9987 said:
To truly copy PS2 songs you need a dual layer DVD Burner. Buy a NEC one, they are really good.
Yeah, but where do you buy the dual-layered disks? So far, I have yet to have seen any available.

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
The Trooper said:
Does the system need to be modified for that to work?
No it dues not.
Can the hard drive connect to the USB port?
No it cannot. It has to be Internal and needs to be IDE, to connect to the broadband adapter to install it.
Yeah, but where do you buy the dual-layered disks? So far, I have yet to have seen any available.
The media format is not availible yet. And there are only less than 10 dual layer games for PS2 anyway. And if you copy them, they wont play unless your PS2 is modified.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.