• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Sony CEO Says He'd Purchase Apple

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Source: MacOS Planet (outdated link removed)

What a way to end an already busy week. While browsing through the usual financial forums I came across a post that spoke about Sony expressing possible interest in buying Palm and Apple Computer.

The article that I found was written by Michael Singer of Silicon Valley and primarily discusses the possibility of Sony?s possible plans to purchase PalmSource, the company that is responsible for developing both the software and hardware that is behind the popular Palm PDA handheld computer.

Later in the article Singer stated that Nobuyki Idei (Sony?s CEO) said that he has also expressed interest in possibly purchasing Apple Computer. An article snippet and a copy of the Idei?s quote is posted below:

Idei also indicated he would consider purchases of both Apple Computer and Symbian, a joint company by palmtop computer maker Psion; mobile phone giants Motorola, Nokia, Sony Ericsson; electronics powerhouse Matsushita Communication; and Siemens. The consortium develops and licenses a software operating system (OS) for mobile phones and handheld devices. None of the companies contacted would comment on Sony's claims.

"In terms of our OS strategy, it is not clear whether Symbian, which we share with the Nokia phones, is the right way to go for the mobile phone," said Idei.

The full context of the article can be read at:

http://siliconvalley.internet.com/news/art...cle.php/2100531

The M.O.S.P. Perspective:

I'm never surprised when companies want to purchase Apple Computer as that news has become commonplace over recent years, however, when the names Sony and Apple are mixed one can only imagine the possibilities. Both Sony and Apple are companies that are highly renowned for their product design and innovation. In the event, the groups were to get together via a direct buyout or joint operation I?d bet the bank that any product that the two of them make would be revolutionary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
I dun think ide like that..

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I agree with Graphite. It may not be a good thing. :blink:

A

AstralZenith

Originally posted by schweb@Mar 9 2003, 07:49 PM
Sony expressing possible interest in buying Palm and Apple Computer.
if sony buys apple computer... you will see Astral going to japan and doing alittle dirty work <_<

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Originally posted by AstralZenith@Mar 10 2003, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by schweb@Mar 9 2003, 07:49 PM
Sony expressing possible interest in buying Palm and Apple Computer.
if sony buys apple computer... you will see Astral going to japan and doing alittle dirty work <_<
haha.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
:lol: :blink: :lol:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.