A few questions form a recent switcher

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15-inch: 2.66GHz
Hey there everyone!
I am currently awaiting my first ever Macintosh computer to arrive and I have some questions that I hope will keep me running it in OS X mode and not in Windows XP mode. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. =^.^=

1)I have a DeLORME Earthmate GPS, the bus-powered USB version, and I for the life of me cannot find Mac drivers or a program that lists itself as compatible . Anyone have suggestions on this one?

2) War driving: Can anyone recommend a good application for it on the OS X side of things? It’s a hobby I had a great deal of fun with when I had a working Windows laptop and I wish to start doing it again.

3) Instant-messaging: I have accounts on all the major networks, so can anyone suggest a good unified messenger along the lines of Trillian for Windows?

Thanks in advance for helping out a total Mac noob. If you guys have any Windows questions feel free to ask me

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
Found this: http://www.insanely-great.com/reviews/streetatlas.html

It looks like there is a street atlas version that is for macintosh it costs ~$50 seperately from the GPS unit. Macstumbler works well for me, and is supposed to work with some GPS units, but I don't know which ones. You might want to contact Delorme directly for some of these questions.

OP
eddiddiums
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well it looks like DeLORME no longer supports Mac at any level. They do not even supply drivers. It looks like I am completly on my own on that front.

As for the war driving and IM solutions; Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini CD 1.66; 2GB RAM, 80GB HD
I'm not trying to knock war driving because I've never tried it....but whats the big deal with it? Maybe it's just ignorance on my part, but isn't it just driving around looking for wireless networks? Or is there more to it? What's so fun about it, the satisfaction of finding them?

OP
eddiddiums
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To CEN7272:
I do it just for the fun of doing it. It's kinda like bird watching or metal detecting, you won't necessarily get anything out of it, but its a fun way to kill time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini CD 1.66; 2GB RAM, 80GB HD
ok...that's cool, I can respect that. I've actually always wanted to ask someone about it but I never knew anyone that did it. Happy hunting.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.