connecting MacBook to projector and keeping MacBook as the ‘main’ monitor

Reaction score
Hi I have a MacBook and am starting to sometimes connect it to a projector (via hdmi or airplay with an apple tv) to use it as a second, separate display (not mirrored). It works well except that every time that i connect the projector via hdmi or airplay, it always moves all my windows from the MacBook to the monitor or projector and also moves all my basic system functionality (like my dock, volume indicators, login screen, new windows that i open, etc) to the projector.

I want to make it so that basically everything stays on my MacBook screen, including most of the windows and all of the basic system functionality. The only thing that i want to use on the projector is one or two browser windows in chrome or firefox so that i can watch videos on the projector while working on the MacBook.

How can i make it work like this?

Thanks,
Dan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
With both display connected, go into System Preferences > Displays, and select Arrangement. Move the whit bar at the top, to whichever display you want to be the main display.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202351

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.