Need help deciding on ipad .

Reaction score
I’m just curious if I will use Wi-Fi. I’m getting my Masters in clinical psychology, and I tend to work from my office at home. With that being said I do and read some of my course material on my iPhone at a restaurant I got to in which there is no Wi-Fi available. I also use mine to watch movies play some games including Sims build it, fallout and maybe even a different sims game . The biggest question I have, and should I really worry about getting another bent iPad, if I go this route?

I just have a feeling that I will regret if I get a Wi-Fi addition simply because what if I am put in a situation where I need to travel but I don’t want to do work on my cell phone? But then again not having to deal with that iPad is also appealing… I’m just struggling with the right thing to do is I’ve narrowed it down to the 12.9 inch now simply because of the real estate of the screen I can write notes more effectively. My 11” lte came in bent

I also decided in 512 GB simply because all my computers combined I’m at about 250 GB worth of photos however I have 5 TB worth of photos that were shot on my Mia’s in house of lights but I always put them on and external hard drive for safety reasons. This iPad would be more use for just photos from my iPhone which I’m up to about 1000 of them I thousand songs and maybe 20 movies which I think should be more than enough...

So to make this easier question one should I get the 12.9 inch and cellular or Wi-Fi given the amount that I use? Second question is will 512 GB be enough for my needs? And lastly any good recommendations on Notes that you can write on an app that transfer digitally into type?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So to make this easier question one should I get the 12.9 inch and cellular or Wi-Fi given the amount that I use?

Purchase the Wi-Fi only model...and when you're somewhere without wi-fi...use your smartphone as a "hotspot".:)

HTH,

- Nick

OP
thedemoncowboy
Reaction score
My only
Issue is my I watch is feathered and it’ll eat my battery that’s what I’m worried about

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
My only
Issue is my I watch is feathered and it’ll eat my battery that’s what I’m worried about

Then you’ve answered your own question.

Bob -

Sent from my 12.9” iPad Pro 1stGen using Mac-Forums

OP
thedemoncowboy
Reaction score
I mean simple I could answer itC. However I’m worried about the Bending how prevalent is it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Go to the Apple store, buy an iPad, open it right there and put it on one of the tables. If it's bent, have them take it back and replace. Repeat until you find a flat one. Apple says the bending should not exceed the thickness of four sheets of paper, which is pretty thin.

OP
thedemoncowboy
Reaction score
I man buying thru amazon so I can do the same thing. (I got a Christmas present), so I have to do it there ... unfortunately the nearest Apple store is 9 hours away .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Frankly, I always put a case on my iDevices, so even if it is slightly bent, I would never notice as long as the case fit. I'm a "if it works, fine" kind of person, so the cosmetic of a slight bend doesn't worry me.

As for buying through Amazon, just make sure they offer the same return options as if you bought direct from Apple--no question return for xx days (I forget what XX is these days).

OP
thedemoncowboy
Reaction score
Fortunately you get 1 month return date. No worries or questions asked. They can do 3 advanced replacements before having to refund you, and try again.

Does yours exhibit a bend?

Would it be worthwhile just to forgo it and get the 10.5?

I just think Cellular will be good to have.

I think I would need cellular for the iPad x2 a week and maybe up to a week a year

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Just get a hotspot from your cellular provider, pay for a one month plan.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But they also have separate hotspot devices.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Fortunately you get 1 month return date. No worries or questions asked. They can do 3 advanced replacements before having to refund you, and try again.

Does yours exhibit a bend?

Would it be worthwhile just to forgo it and get the 10.5?

I just think Cellular will be good to have.

I think I would need cellular for the iPad x2 a week and maybe up to a week a year

I think that you've gotten great answers to your two main concerns:

- If you purchase a WiFi only iPad...then use your cellphone as a hotspot when you need to use your iPad & have no WiFi.
- If you are concerned about a bent iPad (VERY RARE). Order it via Amazon...when you get it inspect it for any bends...keep it if good...return it for another if not good.

Very simple!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
I man buying thru amazon so I can do the same thing. (I got a Christmas present), so I have to do it there ... unfortunately the nearest Apple store is 9 hours away .

I would not recommend buying from Amazon. You can order your iPad from the Apple Store online.

As for battery, I would suggest buying a power bank you can connect your phone cable to. You could also get one of those smart battery cases which themselves have a battery to charge from when the iPhone is in this case, but they’re more expensive.

OP
thedemoncowboy
Reaction score
I would not recommend buying from Amazon. You can order your iPad from the Apple Store online.

As for battery, I would suggest buying a power bank you can connect your phone cable to. You could also get one of those smart battery cases which themselves have a battery to charge from when the iPhone is in this case, but they’re more expensive.

Unfortunately I have gift cards to amazon so it will have to be that way.

OP
thedemoncowboy
Reaction score
Amazon is very good to me with returns and such so they ended up getting me an OLED c8 after lg decided not to help. They’re fantastic

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.