• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Laptop Screens

Reaction score
What with the introduction of the a glossy option for the macbook and macbook pro screens...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" 2.8ghz Macbook Pro, 32GB iPhone 4
Glossy = easy glare from light/sun right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
thats what I was thinking, but surely they must have treated it to absorb the reflection? no?

M

MJGUK

Graphite said:
thats what I was thinking, but surely they must have treated it to absorb the reflection? no?
Well I hope you're right Graphite.
Either way I just ordered the Glossy Display for my new MacBook Pro!
So I'm hoping it is nice! :)

I

iFrag

Out of the few laptops I've owned, the ones with the glossy screens stick in my head the best as having the clearest screen.

OP
V
Reaction score
just from the results as far, it seems that either glossy is all around more prefered, or that people that like glossy are just more poll enthused people...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
I think I like glossy better, but I guess I'll have to go to the apple store to try both out... I remeber seeing a dell with a glossy screen, and I though the screen was quite nice...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
If you're always going to use it inside, I think you're fine with glossy. However I prefer the matte finish.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I think glossy is nice if you mainly work in areas with unchanging light conditions.

I had a customer today who wanted to get the Macbook to take on the train with him... apparently on his current glossy-screened notebook the changing light coming through the windows makes the screen basically unreadable.

It'll be interesting to see if Apple have some sort of polarisation filter on there...

I just ordered one for my girlfriend anyway though :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
I figured there would be a catch.

M

MJGUK

Graphite said:
I figured there would be a catch.
Yep and I'm kinda nervous to see how it works out.

My MacBook Pro got dispatched this morning and I had it fitted with the 'Glossy' display so, I'll post a bunch of photos once it arrives :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz, Ibook G4 1.33ghz, Powerbook Lombard 333mhz
Is the glossy screen somewhat like the screens of the newer ipods? I have heard that apples macbook screen arnt as reflective as some pc computers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.