Minimising windows

Reaction score
Hi there,

Im just getting used to using my Mac however I can't figure out the most efficient way for minimising windows when using a programme that is open in multiple windows. I know [option] [command] [m] to minimise the current window, and [option] [command] [h] to minimise everything but the current window, but none of these help.

An example of this is when I am using Outlook for Mac. Sometimes I may have a number of email windows open and also the main outlook window, but there doesn't seem to be any way to close everything other the the specific email window that you want to keep open? [option] [command] [h] doesn't work as it keeps every outlook window open.

Can anybody help with this?

Paul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Welcome to the forum, Paul.

I'm not sure what you are trying to do, but if in Outlook you have messages open, I don't think there is a way to close all of them except to shut down Outlook. I think that's what you meant by "multiple windows." The dilemma is that the messages are NOT applications, just messages opened by Outlook, so the various commands you mentioned don't work on them as the commands are designed to close APPLICATION windows and not message windows. I do have to admit that I haven't used Outlook in a while. I think all the message windows should close if you go to Outlook itself, click on the Outlook name on the top bar and then click "Quit" there. That should close Outlook and all the associated windows, if Microsoft plays by how things normally work in macOS.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Rather than minimizing, you might want to consider just closing multiple windows. If each window is taking up the entire screen, there's no value in having all of them open at the same time. You might also want to explore the Reading Pane in outlook and abandon the idea of opening each email in its own window.

With any application that opens multiple windows, you can switch between the separate windows of the same application by hitting CMD+~ (the tilda button is left of of the 1 button). CMD+tab is used to switch between applications.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
What the OP wants is a "Close Other Windows" command similar to "Close Other Tabs" in Safari. That would leave the active window open and close the rest. I don't use Outlook on my Mac, so I don't know if that's possible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, it's hard to tell, the OP hasn't returned to clarify his post. I've used Outlook, although it's been a while, and I don't remember any trick to close all open message windows and keep Outlook running.

OP
U
Reaction score
Spot on, this is exactly what I was after

What the OP wants is a "Close Other Windows" command similar to "Close Other Tabs" in Safari. That would leave the active window open and close the rest. I don't use Outlook on my Mac, so I don't know if that's possible.

OP
U
Reaction score
This reason I want to keep just one window (containing an email) is to drag items onto it from my desktop.

Rather than minimizing, you might want to consider just closing multiple windows. If each window is taking up the entire screen, there's no value in having all of them open at the same time. You might also want to explore the Reading Pane in outlook and abandon the idea of opening each email in its own window.

With any application that opens multiple windows, you can switch between the separate windows of the same application by hitting CMD+~ (the tilda button is left of of the 1 button). CMD+tab is used to switch between applications.

OP
U
Reaction score
I've found a solution that more or less does what I need..

Press:
[option]+[command]+[H]+[M] and this minimises all windows

then:
[right click] on the outlook icon on the dock and click the single window that you want to use

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad you found something to do what you wanted, but to me that's a lot of keys. You could accomplish the same thing by simply closing Outlook altogether, then clck to open it and select the message you want to use. Can be done entirely with the mouse or trackpad. and no complicated this, plus that, plus this, plus that. Put Outlook on the Dock and it's all right there in front of you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just took a very quick look at Outlook for Windows. I do not see a "close other windows" option there either.

Reaction score
I just took a very quick look at Outlook for Windows. I do not see a "close other windows" option there either.

Probably because Outlook is an email/calendar app, and not a sticky note app. It works under the concept of "an email, mayyybe two open, while potentially composing a third or doing a calendar thing." It's not meant to have many emails open at the same time, all the time.

Modern versions of macOS and Windows have dedicated apps for sticky notes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

You can also set an option in Dock preferences (System Prefs) to have a window minimize when you double-click anywhere its title bar.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can also set an option in Dock preferences (System Prefs) to have a window minimize when you double-click anywhere its title bar.

Too bad, but doing that with Option or Command held down does not do what the OP wants. But, I thought it was worth a try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
toMACsh;… … … Too bad said:
I am not sure what you meant exactly, but using the option or command key doesn't seem to have any different effect when using the double-click on the title bar, and I don't use Outlook, but if it uses windows as I suspect, and each one can be minimalized as I understand the OP wanted:
An example of this is when I am using Outlook for Mac. Sometimes I may have a number of email windows open and also the main outlook window, but there doesn't seem to be any way to close everything other the the specific email window that you want to keep open? [option] [command] [h] doesn't work as it keeps every outlook window open.

MS software can't be THAT different that it doesn't work according to OS X rules can it?

Oh Gee, let me think about that for a second or two!!! ;D

- Patrick
======

OP
U
Reaction score
You don't need to faff around like this in windows, its much easier there. You can drag an object from the desktop over the icon of your chosen program on the toolbar and it will let you chose which window you want to drop it on to.

On the mac you have to mess around getting a single window that is not maximised so you can drag objects onto it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You don't need to faff around like this in windows, its much easier there.

I don't use Windows enough to understand how it all works in such a situation, but I do know how a Mac OS X works and I dare say either I don't understand what you are saying about using a Mac, or quite likely, you don't know how to use one, as what you say above is complete nonsense and not they way it normally works.

Just saying… :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

OP
U
Reaction score
I have to disagree, it is a simple thing that I want to do and nobody here can suggest a way to do it on a Mac. In this situation windows works better as it is point and click.

Windows still has over 80% of the market so I'm sure everything on Mac OS cannot be perfect :p

I don't use Windows enough to understand how it all works in such a situation, but I do know how a Mac OS X works and I dare say either I don't understand what you are saying about using a Mac, or quite likely, you don't know how to use one, as what you say above is complete nonsense and not they way it normally works.

Just saying… :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In this situation windows works better as it is point and click.

Maybe that's a feature that macOS could copy from Windows for a change, but it does look like Spaces has a similar feature that could possibly be used. But I don't use it and just minimize or hide those windows I don't want or need. Maybe it could be used to accomplish what you want and it might be worth a visit or a try.

How to Hide All Other Windows Except Active App on Mac OS
How to Hide All Other Windows Except Active App on Mac OS

And no, not everything is perfect in the Apple OS world, but they seem to be managing okay!!! But that's why sites such as this exist to help others and maybe help improve things. :Mischievous:

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am not sure what you meant exactly, but using the option or command key doesn't seem to have any different effect when using the double-click on the title bar,

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. I was hoping it would. You know, do it in one fell swoop, not once for however many window are to be closed -just leaving one open.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe that's a feature that macOS could copy from Windows for a change, but it does look like Spaces has a similar feature that could possibly be used. But I don't use it and just minimize or hide those windows I don't want or need. Maybe it could be used to accomplish what you want and it might be worth a visit or a try.

Hmm. Interesting idea. Expose(accent on the e) more likely. I'll have to try at home.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.