Another spill liquid story in Macbook Pro. All works great except screen

Reaction score
Yes.. after light spill and extensive time drying it out... My Macbook Pro is up and running just fine on a external monitor. Have not noticed any problems with cpu, harddrive, anything except no backlight on the display.

I have been using it like this as a desktop. (does anyone know how to bypass the lid switch so I dont have to close it to make video appear on external monitor)...

My question is ... keeping in mind.. all working except screen.. what do I look for and how extensive should I go when I remove the bottom cover?

Thanks.. New to Macbooks but been into several Iphones.
Don

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi Don - welcome to the forum! :) If not already done, you might want to check the 'official' Spilled Liquid Macbook Thread which may address some of your questions. Liquid damage is often permanent and ongoing, i.e. other functions may be lost - might want to tell us which MBPro you own and the nature and amount of liquid spilled. Good luck - Dave

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My question is ... keeping in mind.. all working except screen.. what do I look for and how extensive should I go when I remove the bottom cover?

My questions are:

- Approximately how much liquid do you think was spilt (ounces, drops, cc's, milliliters, etc.) whetever measure works to describe.
- How positive are you all of it has evaporated?
- What sort of liquid was this (water, beer, coffee, soda, juice, etc)?

The reason why I'm asking is...if all the liquid is not 100% evaporated...once you start moving the computer (tilting it, inverting it, etc.)...then any spilt liquid that's still "liquid" could migrate to a different location...and cause BIG problems. The best course of action after a liquid spill is to shut it off completely...and NEVER power it back up until you know 100%...that all liquid has been removed.

Once you know all liquid has been removed...then it's safe to power it back up...see if it still functions.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.