• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Help required with video made using iPhone 7

Reaction score
I recorded half a dozen videos yesterday and they all came out fine apart from one.

Most were 4 or 5 minutes long but one stretched out to 10.51

The problem is that when I import it onto my Mac it suddenly after about 30 secs goes slow and appears to have been recorded in slo-mo! The last 30 secs it reverts to normal running.

Can anyone suggest a/ what I've done wrong and b/ is there a way to correct it?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Starting with iPhone 6, iOS has the ability to record videos in Slow-Mo mode where it starts to record at normal and then slows down for some duration and then picks up again. This is expected for Slow-Mo videos, but it looks like you might have shot one of your videos in that mode without realizing.

Within the Camera app, at the bottom there is a horizontal slider that indicates what mode the camera is in, from Photo, Video, Square, Pano and Slow-Mo. The problem with Slow-Mo and Video is that they are right next to each other and both shoot video (but different types). So it might be hard to realize that you've done the wrong thing until you play it back or import it.

When dealing with Slow-Mo videos (for future reference), read this Apple article.

My guess (not having any of this slow-mo video stuff) is that you can possibly edit the video right on to the phone to remove the slow motion part and have it play out normally. Maybe. Possibly.

OP
D
Reaction score
It’s odd - it plays ok for roughly the first minute - then goes into slow-mo which drags the thing out to about an hour - then back to normal for the last minute or so!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
From what I understand, that's how the slow-mo videos are, normal to start, then slow for some time and then normal to end. Because it's not known how big the video you are going to shoot is, my guess is that the slow-down happens post recording of the video. Thus, if they say first minute normal, slow-mo in middle and last minute normal and you've recorded a 1 hour video then it'll be about 58 mins of sloooooow talking. :)

OP
D
Reaction score
From what I understand, that's how the slow-mo videos are, normal to start, then slow for some time and then normal to end. Because it's not known how big the video you are going to shoot is, my guess is that the slow-down happens post recording of the video. Thus, if they say first minute normal, slow-mo in middle and last minute normal and you've recorded a 1 hour video then it'll be about 58 mins of sloooooow talking. :)

Thanks for that.

Following your post I changed my search terms and came up with this article - https://www.quora.com/Can-we-convert-a-slow-motion-video-into-a-normal-video-in-an-iPhone

I followed their advice and the video now works perfectly!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Excellent, so you CAN do the editing the phone, I should start predicting other things to see if they will actually happen. :)

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Thank you DannyDX. Very helpful to present & future Forum members who may well find themselves in this situation.

So thank you for the solution.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
If you import a slo-mo iPhone video into Photos, when you play it you will get sliders so that you can adjust the section that is in slo-mo. If you bring the sliders together, so that there is no slo-mo, you can then drag it to the Desktop. Open it with Quicktime, and you get the sliders again so you can adjust the amount of slo-mo and then save it as a separate video clip.

If you drag it out of Photos without bringing the sliders together, you don't get them in the QT viewer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.