• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Printer recommendations please

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini: OSX 10.15.6 Catalina, 8GB Ram, Samsung Series 5 SC570 monitor, Seagate external drive.
Running 10.13.5
Looking to get a B&W laser jet printer which also has copy & scanning capabilities. Price is a factor so I'm not interested in high end ones.
Thank you for any suggestions.

Reaction score
Brother laser printers are pretty good. I have the L2320DW[not an all in one]. It's a workhorse, priced right and the ink last forever. [The amazon drum and toner are less than $19 and work just as good as factory]

OP
Backlighting
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini: OSX 10.15.6 Catalina, 8GB Ram, Samsung Series 5 SC570 monitor, Seagate external drive.
Brother laser printers are pretty good. I have the L2320DW[not an all in one]. It's a workhorse, priced right and the ink last forever. [The amazon drum and toner are less than $19 and work just as good as factory]

Thanks for the reply.
Does the printer come with drum and toner?
Since I don't have a disc drive is the software downloadable?
I might just forgo the scanner & copier capabilities to save $...so I'll check the model you suggest.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
Does the printer come with drum and toner?
Since I don't have a disc drive is the software downloadable?
I might just forgo the scanner & copier capabilities to save $...so I'll check the model you suggest.

Yes it does. It came with a disk but software is downloadable.

Reaction score
I have the L2320D The l2320DW is wireless. I have mine connected to my airport so I still have wireless capability. The wireless one is $120 and the one I have is $99 They are usually on special so you can probably find a deal on them soon..Especially with black Friday coming up.

OP
Backlighting
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have the L2320D The l2320DW is wireless. I have mine connected to my airport so I still have wireless capability. The wireless one is $120 and the one I have is $99 They are usually on special so you can probably find a deal on them soon..Especially with black Friday coming up.

Kilo,
Forgot to ask: Does it come with a cable to connect to my Mac Mini USB port?

OP
Backlighting
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Think I'll get one...thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Kilo,
Forgot to ask: Does it come with a cable to connect to my Mac Mini USB port?
Yes it does

Best to check as most home/office printers don't usually come with any cables, especially with wireless units and why not choose and use one it and forget the cables. Much more useful and many are also Airprint capable.

Price is a factor so I'm not interested in high end ones.
Check with your local stores or on-line for compatible units that are on sale. And Brother laser printers as mentioned are a good choice with good Mac support and reasonable priced consumables.

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
OP
Backlighting
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Patrick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 13 v11.1, i5 2.4 GHz, 256 GBs SSD, 8 GBs DDRs
Brother printers used to have good reputation, but design flaws in some of the models tarnished their reputation, like this one:

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/1040904-mfc-8950dw-and-hl-6180dw-fuser-issues?page=4

Add to this that their excellent support deteriorated since 2017 to the level of practically non-existent, Brother isn't as good as it used to be.

I realize that the Brother MFC-8950DW is a high end printer, but that's what I had and it had been impacted by the fuser design flaw. I have clients, who just like me, no longer buy printers for Brother for this reason.

On the other hand, I also have a Brother HL-4570CDW laser color printer in my SOHO that had not have issues, at least not as of yet. On the other hand, the color printer isn't used much, so, there is that...

I am not certain how this would impact the Brother L2320DW, or other low end printers from Brother. Certainly, replacing parts on these printers isn't worth for, when a new one costs less than 100 bucks...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Cheap black and white laser printers can be had from just about every printer manufacturer. The inexpensive Brother mentioned above does two sided printing and is very fast. The toner cartridge and drum replacements are likewise inexpensive. But like was mentioned, if it breaks, just toss it and buy another. None of the cheaper printers nowadays are worth repairing.

My HP LJ 1012 is going on 14 years old and is as good as ever. I can replace the toner cartridge (which includes the drum) for less than $15.00 and it will last a year. Old HP LaserJets never die... they just run out of toner! LOL.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
had a brother printer years ago. hated it. cant even remember why. I was so happy to get rid of that printer. Id never get a brother anything ever again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
had a brother printer years ago. hated it. cant even remember why. I was so happy to get rid of that printer. Id never get a brother anything ever again.

That is a bit odd to hear, as in all my many years of doing any type of Mac support, that is the first negative comment I have ever heard about a Mac supported Brother printer.

I wonder what model and what the problem actually was. But I guess there's always an exception somewhere. And are you sure it wasn't a Lexmark that wasn't even designed or meant to work with a Mac? Many unwitting Mac users purchased lots of such models without reading the fine print because the price was so good. But the same can apply to any brand of printer.

PS: Brother makes some beautiful good well built sewing machines if you ever needed one. :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

OP
Backlighting
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just finished unpacking the L2320D. Easy set-up and did a test sheet, which looks good to me. Power cord, drum and ink cartridge were included. I supplied the USB cable. The printer this one is replacing was a HP 3-in-1 deskjet. It was painfully slow and ink replacement expensive, by comparison. For $100 it seemed perfect for my needs (I don't need to print color or half tones.) Of course time will tell if reliability is good.

Reaction score
Just finished unpacking the L2320D. Easy set-up and did a test sheet, which looks good to me. Power cord, drum and ink cartridge were included. I supplied the USB cable. The printer this one is replacing was a HP 3-in-1 deskjet. It was painfully slow and ink replacement expensive, by comparison. For $100 it seemed perfect for my needs (I don't need to print color or half tones.) Of course time will tell if reliability is good.

it'll be a while before you'll need this, but they work great and you can't beat the bang for the buck.

OP
Backlighting
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.