• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Video Grabber

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac(2.7 i5,Late 2013)OS High Sierra.10.13.6 Ipad3/5s ios12 nd 5s ios11
I run OS High Sierra (10.13.6)
I am struggling to find a grabber thats compatable with the above.
I need to transfer to disc VHS and Sony Handycam tapes.

I would like to ask the forum if anyone has had any experience of something that does the job ok.

Thx for reading
Rgds
Bob.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
By disc, you mean the internal drive in your iMac, or are you referring to DVD?
Do you have a Sony HandyCam?
Do you have a VHS player?
What ports are on your iMac?

I have an old Sony HandyCam (2001), that has a port which I can connect to my Mac using FireWire. Yours may have that too. The VHS one may be a little trickier, unless your HandyCam is also audio/video input capable? Mine isn't.

OP
bertsau
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac(2.7 i5,Late 2013)OS High Sierra.10.13.6 Ipad3/5s ios12 nd 5s ios11
By disc, you mean the internal drive in your iMac, or are you referring to DVD?
Do you have a Sony HandyCam?
Do you have a VHS player?
What ports are on your iMac?

I have an old Sony HandyCam (2001), that has a port which I can connect to my Mac using FireWire. Yours may have that too. The VHS one may be a little trickier, unless your HandyCam is also audio/video input capable? Mine isn't.

Hey ferrarr hope you are good
I have Akai VHS with Scart connection(RF leads for which i have)
Sony Handycam again with RF leads.
USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt Ports
I want to transfer VHS and Hi8 camcorder video to the mac and save to external Seagate 2TB drive for burning to DVD at a later date.
Was hoping i could find that recommendation for a grabber that doesnt cause too much agg.
There appear to be so many on the market therefore real hard to find the right one for the job.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
As ferrarr (Bob) has been so supportive, why not give him a "thumbs up" by clicking on the thumbs up icon on the very bottom line to the left?

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.