How To See The Files In My Camera

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
Hi,

I am trying to organize my photos.

Is there a way to “see” my camera as an external drive, with files in it? Whenever I plug the camera in, iPhoto prompts me to import the images, but I would prefer to download them directly to the hard disk (iPhoto is terrible with directories). Even after downloading the pictures, I can not find the camera in the so called “Finder”.

If I download say, 200 pictures to iPhoto, and want to take 2 last shots and save them, I have to go through the silly process of waiting for iPhoto to read aaaaall the pictures in the card, although I tell it to ignore existing ones.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I did an iPhoto search within the forum and am most impressed with the amount of people complaining about it. And after a few weeks, I can see why.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What camera is this? Canon's seen to have this issue of not mounting a drive icon on the desktop.

You can use Image Capture in the Applications folder. With the Camera plugged in, you can browse the photos and copy what you want.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
Thanks for your prompt reply.

It's a Nikon D70.

I will try Image Capture as soon as I get home. Like many Mac users, I have a PC at work and a Mac at home.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Also if you don't want iPhoto as the default to importing your images. You use preferences in image capture to change the default to what ever application you want to import your images.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
my d50 mounts right on the desktop(and in finder) just to let you know
-chris

Reaction score
Yeah I have the same problem basically, having a Canon ixus50 it doesn't mount. Any fixes?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
yogi said:
Yeah I have the same problem basically, having a Canon ixus50 it doesn't mount. Any fixes?

I asked a few of my Canon friends and they all said no icon on the desktop or in My Computer. You have to use their software. I asked them to look at their camera's setup and see if there was a setting under USB options like on some HP's and Olympus's that put the camera into disc mode. I even downloaded a Manual on this one Canon and could find no mention of it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.