PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Here!!

iBrad
05-16-2006, 08:44 AM
http://www.apple.com/macbook/

iBrad
05-16-2006, 08:49 AM
I just bought my MacBook Pro yesterday...and now for the same price I could have had a 2.0 GHz. Ah well, doesn't bother me too much. But any ideas what I got for paying the extra grand???

MJGUK
05-16-2006, 08:50 AM
Yep and they upgraded the MacBook Pro line too, I just ordered one ^_^ :)

MJGUK
05-16-2006, 08:51 AM
I just bought my MacBook Pro yesterday...and now for the same price I could have had a 2.0 GHz. Ah well, doesn't bother me too much. But any ideas what I got for paying the extra grand???
When I first looked, I thought that too.
But I guess we are paying the extra cash for a much thinner machine, with luxuries like a back lit keyboard, extra RAM in some cases, Extra HD Space, MUCH better graphics......But I see why you thought that.

One thing is for sure......The new MacBooks are very well equiped! :)

iBrad
05-16-2006, 08:53 AM
Nevermind!! The dedicated 128MB video compared to the 64MB shared Intel video is all I need as well as the extra resolution!! Sure I lost out on the .17 GHz of CPU speed for my uses I'm ok with that....I'm still in love with the MBP.

iBrad
05-16-2006, 08:55 AM
Ok, I'm turning into a post slut here....but is it just me or are die hard Mac fans waiting for the Macbook going to cringe at the Intel shared video?

Smartz
05-16-2006, 08:58 AM
Wow is all i can say the spec for the money is blumin shocking.....Apple Share price up, Dell share price down.

Now Mr Dell what were you saying about closing Apple and the shareholders??????

Apparently the onboard graphics have been trimmed to make way for the new Mac Book Slim and Mac Book Gamer...

Oh Apple you are a tease to my wallet!!!!!

Mattlike
05-16-2006, 09:09 AM
Very cool, I want one now haha

TBoblp
05-16-2006, 09:11 AM
Black Mac? I want one!

ezhangin
05-16-2006, 09:16 AM
it has shared video memory, what are you talking about?

zeta101
05-16-2006, 09:27 AM
Hmmm my thoughts:

- Share video memory, suppose this weas expected since it is the macbook not the macbook pro.

- The only difference between the top white model and the top black model is an upgrade from a 60GB to 80GB hard drive. So your paying quite a lot for getting that black paint job.

- They have mini-dvi (which used to be powerbook 12") and they have got all the latest trimmings like iSight, remote, front row, magsafe, scrolling trackpad, wifi/BT/gigabitethernet. This makes me wonder if Apple actually plan to have a sub-15" macbook pro in the works (ie, to replace the powerbook 12" slot). It would be hard to compete with the macbooks except by including a seperate video card, would this be enough though? Will there even be a 12" macbook pro now?

- glossy widescreen, does this mean Apple have finally started to use better displays like you get in a lot of PC laptops these days (a lot of which are very crisp and glossy looking).

- The keyboard seems new, the keys have rounded edges to them.

- How come the MacBooks have similar processors to the pros? Didn't apple usually have a clear difference between the ibooks and powerbooks?

ripfrankwhite
05-16-2006, 09:34 AM
Will we be able to install RAM ourselves? Or will it have to be disassembled? The RAM seems steep. Other than that, I like the shiny black. Looks very nice.

zeta101
05-16-2006, 09:38 AM
I would be very suprised if you can't install your own RAM, it's always been user servicable.

Also it seems the macbook pros have had a slight processor bump and now also come with the same "glossy" displays as the macbooks!

iBrad
05-16-2006, 09:59 AM
I would be very suprised if you can't install your own RAM, it's always been user servicable.

Also it seems the macbook pros have had a slight processor bump and now also come with the same "glossy" displays as the macbooks!

I'm not a fan of the glossy display. Any amount of light and there's a LOT of reflection/glare and with the addition of any real sunlight and you can see a LOT of dust. But to each their own because it does produce a nice picture in the right setting.

I was actually VERY lucky in getting my Macbook Pro. I sold my iBook because of some PC situations that I HAD to have for work (a knife in my heart) so I waved good-bye to my dear 12" companion and thought I would spring for the MBP. Then the dollars just didn't make sense....I couldn't spend that kind of coin. I waited for the Macbook but it didn't come and I got impatient. I (shamfully) caved and bought a Compaq Presario (with a glossy display) from Staples. Now for the price it was a nice PC...but I still browsed the Apple site every day in want. Then the optical drive died in the Presario after approximately 25 days. Staples had a 14 day return policy so I thought there was no way they'd let me return it. Amazingly they took it back with barely any questions. I learned my lesson, had been given a second change and went and sprung on a MBP yesterday...now less than 24 hours later the same machine get's a .17 GHz processor bump, but I won't complain...I was lucky to get a second chance to stick with Apple and for what I do, the CPU difference will shave maybe a second off rendering an iMovie clip.

Now that you are all wiping tears away from your face over my miracle story I'll just tell you that (and I know I'm jacking my own thread so please forgive me) but the MBP has been worth every penny in the short time I've used it. Yes it gets hot up next to the F1-F2 keys as a result of the power supply, but I think it's deceiving how hot it is due to it being Aluminum. I remember my iBook got "really" hot, but with it being plastic is didn't feel quite as hot as the Aluminum might be seeing as how well Aluminum conducts heat. As for CPU "whine" if I plaster my head against the keyboard I can hear it, but certainly not worth complaining about. I think the Macbook is going to be a great machine for casual users, students, and love playing around with iLife stuff. Aside from the video, it really is quite the powerful machine sans a few MBP bells and whistles. I'm already hounding my brother to sell his PC and get the Macbook.....I saved the day, he caved. :doctor:

Conehead778
05-16-2006, 10:09 AM
Hey ibrad if you bought a macbook pro within 14 days and they upgrade it all you have to do is call apple and let them know they will give you a return authorization number and send you the new updated one. Trust me it happened to me when i bought a powerbook in november and a week later they upgraded them so i just returned it and got a new one. Easy peasy

johnnyluu
05-16-2006, 10:22 AM
Ok, I'm turning into a post slut here....but is it just me or are die hard Mac fans waiting for the Macbook going to cringe at the Intel shared video?

My thoughts exactly. The one thing that low end macs had over low end windows machines was non shared video.

surfwax95
05-16-2006, 10:30 AM
Arg. I was actually thinking they would offer "flavors" again. The black is good though...

chewey
05-16-2006, 10:31 AM
Yes!!!! It's within my budget. I was thinkin' $1400. :)

kaidomac
05-16-2006, 10:57 AM
Don't forget to buy the ram from OWC:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/5300DDR2S1GB/

$113 per gig...two gigs for $226 vs. $500 at Apple :)

Game2954
05-16-2006, 11:05 AM
Glossy screen, that kinda threw me for a loop, but it is an excellent deal for those ona budget. I am still loving my MBP, neverless the price!!

kaidomac
05-16-2006, 11:08 AM
My local Apple store said they should probably have the MacBooks tomorrow; I want to play with one on display before picking one up. Here's my buy list if I like it:

MacBook: $1,599 with AppleCare, Student Discount, and DVI adapter
http://www.apple.com/macbook/macbook.html

2gb ram: $226 (2 sticks of 1gb @ $113 each)
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/5300DDR2S1GB/

100gb 7200rpm Seagate hard drive: $220
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Seagate/ST910021AS/

Windows XP Pro (OEM): $142
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16837102062

Total: $2187

It's either the MacBook or an Opteron gaming system ($1440). Been saving up all year for this, whoo-hoo! :D

kaidomac
05-16-2006, 11:14 AM
Anyone care to speculate on battery life? :)

iBrad
05-16-2006, 11:35 AM
Anyone care to speculate on battery life? :)

My guess is very similar to the iBook...maybe not quite as goodwith the dual core....but a fair trade-off....probably lose 15 minutes, but gain a fair amount of processing power. I guess it depends on what they did with the battery. Is it the same capacity as the iBook? As for the video....am I off in thinking that you're going to lose some of your processor gain to the undedicated video...not a lot I'm sure, but some?

wicker_man
05-16-2006, 11:58 AM
I quite like the look of the MacBook, and I'm pleasantly suprised they have higher end Core Duos (along with iSight and firewire 400)

The main dissapointment for me is the graphics card, even a low end ATi x1300 would have been nice.

Minor dissapointments is no option for the ram in single sticks, no faster hdd option and no superdrive on the base model is a little annoying too (even £400 Windows laptops have DVDRW).

But apart from that I quite like it, probably gonna get one for Uni next year.

iBrad
05-16-2006, 12:00 PM
Hey ibrad if you bought a macbook pro within 14 days and they upgrade it all you have to do is call apple and let them know they will give you a return authorization number and send you the new updated one. Trust me it happened to me when i bought a powerbook in november and a week later they upgraded them so i just returned it and got a new one. Easy peasy

I bought the MBP at my University which is an authorized education retailer. I called Apple and they said they wouldn't do it where it wasn't directly bought through them. This seems a bit off doesn't it? Should I call back on that? I don't want to go back to the University store and haggle with them becaues they're only a small store and have been really good to me so I don't want to give them a hard time over it. You'd think that Apple would do the switch for me. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

kaidomac
05-16-2006, 12:04 PM
My guess is very similar to the iBook...maybe not quite as goodwith the dual core....but a fair trade-off....probably lose 15 minutes, but gain a fair amount of processing power. I guess it depends on what they did with the battery. Is it the same capacity as the iBook? As for the video....am I off in thinking that you're going to lose some of your processor gain to the undedicated video...not a lot I'm sure, but some?

Apple's site says it's a "55-watt-hour lithium-polymer battery". Here's a review on a similar PC laptop:

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2862&review=Sony+VAIO+SZ120P%2FB+%2D+Core+Duo+T2400+1%2 E83+GHz+%2D+13%2E3

Says battery life is about 3 hours on average. I'm having trouble finding the watt-hours on the Sony, so I don't know exactly how they compare. I'd say three hours is a good estimate; Apple's not saying anything so it's obviously not a selling point.

kaidomac
05-16-2006, 12:05 PM
I also wonder why there's no 7200rpm hard drive option. Maybe too much heat? For those who are interested, Bare Feats has a comparison between 5400rpm and 7200rpm drives here:

http://www.barefeats.com/5472.html

Mattlike
05-16-2006, 12:08 PM
Now I just need the new Power PC's to be released.

kaidomac
05-16-2006, 12:10 PM
Now I just need the new Power PC's to be released.

Yeah, those should definately be interesting! I'm going to check out the new MacBooks/MacBook Pros tomorrow and see what I like. If I decide to get a MacBook, I'm going to wait a few weeks and see how it fares on battery life, heat, noise, and whether or not it has the initial problems that the MacBook Pro had. I'm very, very excited about this notebook :)

playm0de
05-16-2006, 12:17 PM
This is crazy, all of the computers in apples line basically have the same processors. I want to sell my iMac and buy the $2000 macbook pro.

iBrad
05-16-2006, 12:31 PM
Well I contacted the store where I got my MBP and they gave me the option to bring it back for the 2.0GHz but it would be a 4 week wait. But they said Apple gives them a discount on all remaining models that have been replaced and so they said they would give me a discount the moment they found out how much it is, so I took that!! So that = MBP even cheaper which works for me.

Thanks for putting the idea of the Upgrade Protection in my head though!!

Mattlike
05-16-2006, 12:39 PM
Well I contacted the store where I got my MBP and they gave me the option to bring it back for the 2.0GHz but it would be a 4 week wait. But they said Apple gives them a discount on all remaining models that have been replaced and so they said they would give me a discount the moment they found out how much it is, so I took that!! So that = MBP even cheaper which works for me.

Thanks for putting the idea of the Upgrade Protection in my head though!!

If only I hadn't purchased mine so long ago. :oneye:

technologist
05-16-2006, 01:05 PM
Apple apparently considers this the replacement for the 12" PowerBook; It's been dropped from the store. Apparently, there will be no "Pro-level" (dedicated graphics) Intel replacement, nor will there be an under-5-pound notebook at this time.

This new model is 13% heavier than the 12" PowerBook was.

"Glossyness" is also unavoidable on the MacBook, but optional on the Pro. So you have to move up if you want to avoid glare.

All in all, I'm impressed with the performance Intel has brought to the portable line. I'm less impressed with the size and feature changes that have come with the move from iBook and PowerBook to MacBook.

Redbull
05-16-2006, 01:33 PM
RIP Powerbooks. At least I own the original MAC powerPC. Not windows's based Intel.

D3v1L80Y
05-16-2006, 01:36 PM
MacBook White

$1,299.00
13.3-inch widescreen display
1280 x 800 resolution
2.0GHz Intel Core Duo
512MB memory (2x256MB SODIMMs)
60GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive
SuperDrive (DVD±RW, CD-RW)

MacBook Black

$1,499.00
13.3-inch widescreen display
1280 x 800 resolution
2.0GHz Intel Core Duo
512MB memory (2x256MB SODIMMs)
80GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive
SuperDrive (DVD±RW, CD-RW)Since when is 20GB of space worth $200?!?!?!?

If you want the black one, you pay that much more and the only difference is the color and 20GB of HD space.... seems really dumb if you ask me.

RingoFan
05-16-2006, 01:41 PM
The whole point of the black color is to trick buyers into thinking it's some sort of bridge between the macbook and macbook pro lines. I guess they would like you believe it is a replacement for the 12 inch powerbook that they axed. But, here are pictures:
http://looprumors.com/macbookphotos.php

Does the huge border around the screen bother anyone else?

DCraver
05-16-2006, 01:41 PM
Since when is 20GB of space worth $200?!?!?!?

If you want the black one, you pay that much more and the only difference is the color and 20GB of HD space.... seems really dumb if you ask me.

I think black looks really stupid anyway. It's not very Apple. I don't know why they have switched to making black stuff, but I don't like it. Black is not worth the $200. It will just get more scratched and stuff.

I, myself, am buying the white 1.83GHz.... When I get the money. ;)

lil
05-16-2006, 01:52 PM
Well as I have alluded to in my other post, I like these MacBooks. Apple has done well. And they were always going to be criticised for intel shared graphics regardless.

This said however, I am glad that for my main notebook I have my PowerBook 12", especially as it is 1/2lb lighter too.

Colours come around in cycles, the world is silver-ed out and more and more electrical goods are going back to either products with black accents on a mainly silver chassis or entirely black again. Then it will go back to white, then silver and so forth. Or something like that anyway.

For work, as I am hoping the boss will agree to one of these (he hasn't said no when I asked since I don't have dedicated workstation at work yet, just my own PowerBook), I too would probably go for the bottom end model, best bang for buck.

Compared to the £50 cheaper iBook 12"—these are a bargain. 20gb more hard disk space, iSight, FrontRow, slimmer if a tad heaver (3oz or so), faster hard drive, better graphics, gigabit ethernet, DVI output (hurrah!!!!), 2GB RAM capacity, higher resolution display and much firmer keyboard (the only reason I could never use an iBook...)—you get a shed load for your money with that model.

Yes Apple's prices have risen slightly with the Intel chip, but we are getting so much more for our money now, for this I do applaud Apple.

Euphoria aside, I am contemplating that if these machines prove solid and dependable, they may rank as Apple's most important notebook in many years.

For this, I ask fellow PowerBook lovers for a minute's silence for the passing of a dear friend, for the PowerBook is dead.

PowerBook, 1991-2006. Rest in peace dear dependable friend... Obituary (http://www.lilserenity.com/personal/personal/blog.html)

Vicky

Kyomii
05-16-2006, 02:15 PM
RIP Powerbooks. At least I own the original MAC powerPC. Not windows's based Intel.

Windows and intel are entirely seperate! Intel processors use x86 architecture which means that an operating system that supports the architechture can run with the processor, such as Windows and now Mac OSX.

FWIW I like the new lineup, but I think they are overcharging for the black one which could leave them wide-open open to critisism.

kaidomac
05-16-2006, 02:16 PM
The whole point of the black color is to trick buyers into thinking it's some sort of bridge between the macbook and macbook pro lines. I guess they would like you believe it is a replacement for the 12 inch powerbook that they axed. But, here are pictures:
http://looprumors.com/macbookphotos.php

Does the huge border around the screen bother anyone else?

Haha it's a Pismo! I thought it would be a glossy black on the outside, hrm...

lil
05-16-2006, 02:21 PM
Well, the PowerBooks had 68k processors initially so does that make those PowerBooks with PowerPC less pure than a 1xx or 5xx series PowerBook with an 68000/'020/'030/'040? ;)

Vicky

lil
05-16-2006, 02:21 PM
I actually like the look of that matte look, very slick. That hyas thrown a spanner in the works over which one I like more now!

Vicky

kaidomac
05-16-2006, 02:24 PM
I actually like the look of that matte look, very slick. That hyas thrown a spanner in the works over which one I like more now!

Vicky

Yeah, looks like black anodized aluminum actually. Not too bad! I'll have to see them in person; who knows, maybe I'll end up with a white one. Or I'll be totally disgusted and finish building my Opteron system ;)

rman
05-16-2006, 02:29 PM
PowerBook, 1991-2006. Rest in peace dear dependable friend... Obituary (http://www.lilserenity.com/personal/personal/blog.html)
If I can make one adjustment.

PowerBook
1991-2006
Retire in peace

zeta101
05-16-2006, 02:31 PM
More pics of the black MacBook, some closeups of the keyboard:

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1748

baggss
05-16-2006, 02:42 PM
Well, when I look to replace my iBook in a year or two, the black one will be the choice. I agree with lil's earlier comment about differentiation between the PB and iB lines. This seems to be more blurred now with the MB and MBP lines, particularly in the tech specs. They are different, but not much.

kaidomac
05-16-2006, 02:46 PM
More pics of the black MacBook, some closeups of the keyboard:

Wow, it's looking better and better. I don't really like that thick border around the LCD, but everything else looks great. The keys on the keyboard look really spiffy!

lil
05-16-2006, 03:01 PM
If I can make one adjustment.

PowerBook
1991-2006
Retire in peace

I'll give you that :flower:

lil
05-16-2006, 03:05 PM
Ok, so now I love the black...

Why is it so hard! Not that I'll be buying one for some years yet, I can't believe my PowerBook is almost a year old already.

Either way, that looks like one sweet design though the keyboard is a little odd. Looks a teeny bit like those nasty old chiclet keyboards you got with Commodore Pets and the Plus 4 etc., but hopefully a lot nicer to type on.

The only other issue is the 1/2lb weight gain over the PBK G4 12"

Vicky

lil
05-16-2006, 03:14 PM
Another interesting thing is the MacBook's use of SATA whereas the MacBook Pro uses ATA/100 still... How curious!

Vicky

Robin
05-16-2006, 03:15 PM
Ahh fantastic! I've been waiting for this for a while, ever since I laid my hands on my friend's Mac I've been dying to switch away from Windows.
But then he said to me "Well, there's rumours of a new one coming out soon, you should try and wait..."
So I did. And here's my reward! What a very nice price they are, I have to say.

I hope to pick one up on Saturday from one of the stores in London. Well, if they have them! I hope it's not just the US stores that are getting them this week... They are on the UK website after all. Guess we shall see!

Edit: Just spoke to a chap in the Regent St store, they have the white ones in right now! The black one will be a couple of days though, but that matters not for I shall be getting myself a nice 2ghz white MacBook :D

rman
05-16-2006, 03:43 PM
I don't really like that thick border around the LCD
I don't see what you are seeing, I guess. I have a thinkpad that I use for work, it is black also. So I don't see what is bothering you. I guess after using anyone of my laptops (iBook, PowerBook, and ThinkPad), all I really see is the screen and not the frame.

makwanad
05-16-2006, 03:45 PM
The more I read about the more I want a more powerful system than my g3. Oh being outdated sucks.

MJGUK
05-16-2006, 04:05 PM
I agree with Vicky on this, I think Apple have really delivered on these new MacBooks.

Firstly I am pleasantly surprised by the caliber of CPUs chosen for the task, the 13" Widescreen is a nice compromise in my view and the iSight Camera, Magsafe Power Connector and generous RAM allocations all render these new Laptops a pretty excellent deal for the consumer market they are targeted at.

Whilst one can always pick at areas of imperfection, personally at least I don't really see the big deal surrounding onboard/shared graphics. Considering the market at which iBooks/MacBooks have always been targeted, I wouldn't have thought this would have been a great problem. It doesn't mean you are unable to do anything surrounding graphics at all, but it will mean that if you are a power user you'll be looking at the MacBook Pro. In my mind at least, that makes pretty decent sense.

When you look at the price tag, I think the specs are pretty great. I for one didn't assume the inclusion of the Core Duo and somewhat expected the use of a Core Solo (at least for the lower model/s). The Screen looks very nice, the RAM is very decent (and highly expandable), the iSight is a lovely addition and touches such as the MagSafe only go further to define the great value this notebook offers.

All things considered I think these notebooks will sell very well. I think they represent great value, great quality and great features.

Whilst I've just ordered a MacBook Pro (I'll be selling my iBook), The MacBook is an excellent offering and for those of us lucky enough to recieve student discount too, these machines are 'cheap as chips' :)

kaidomac
05-16-2006, 04:07 PM
Another interesting thing is the MacBook's use of SATA whereas the MacBook Pro uses ATA/100 still... How curious!

Vicky

Huh? The MacBook Pro uses SATA too! Look under "Storage" here:

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs.html

kaidomac
05-16-2006, 04:15 PM
Battery life update:

http://www.apple.com/macbook/wireless.html

Work Longer Unplugged

MacBook offers up to 6 hours of battery life. (Up to 2.5 hours of DVD playback, and up to 3.5 hours with wireless turned on.)

Not bad!

jhelm007
05-16-2006, 04:21 PM
Typing a paper on my Pismo (a six year old workhorse and the last black powerbook) in a coffee shop, I had like ten people ask me if it was a new mac laptop. I had no idea what they were talking about and was like "ummm.... no.... its..... old...." Then I went online and saw the new MacBooks. Luckily the drool did not short out my keyboard. Holy..... I want. I want. I want.

Finally my apple will be right side up!

techster82
05-16-2006, 05:24 PM
Apple did a fantastic job with the Macbook Line as a whole. They fell short in a couple of areas, but apparently that is always going to happen. The two areas where they should have done something different are:

The $1099 model: don't continue to stick a combo drive in your entry level notebook. Cost wise, the Superdrive can't cost you more than a couple of dollars more.

The $1499 Black model: Wow, how cool looking is this notebook? They did a great job, especially if we find out the case is in fact anodized aluminum and not plastic. Where they fell short with this one is the fact they don't include 1GB of ram instead of a measly 512MB. The bump up of Hard drive space does not equate to $200. Apparently, this is their 12" Powerbook replacement, but give it some distance from the $1299 white model at least.

As far as the integrated video goes, you need to remember that this area has changed alot over the years. I am sure Apple looked at who uses their 12" Powerbooks and iBooks, and had those people in mind when they built the Macbook. I know someone will speak out, but I don't know of a single person who uses their 12" Powerbook for intense graphic design or gaming. If you don't do this kind of stuff, you would never know that your graphics are integrated. I would actually love to see a head to head comparison between the GeforceGO 5200 chipset and the new intel one included. I think we would all be very surprised by the results.

All in all, its going to be tough not to immediately sell my 12" Powerbook and not order a Black Macbook. I just don't want to kick myself when they change the processors again in a couple of months.

lil
05-16-2006, 05:27 PM
Huh? The MacBook Pro uses SATA too! Look under "Storage" here:

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs.html

I took this info from...

...oops.

Now I have read it correctly. Sorry the thing I drew the specs from on Apple's page had the MacBook Pro's hard disk line split in two, with just ATA/100 on the second line. That foxed me, see..

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/uk/Images/comparison_chart.html

Sorry! :flower: Just did not look as close as I should have done.

I thought it seemed a bit odd!

Vicky

lil
05-16-2006, 05:33 PM
As far as the integrated video goes, you need to remember that this area has changed alot over the years. I am sure Apple looked at who uses their 12" Powerbooks and iBooks, and had those people in mind when they built the Macbook. I know someone will speak out, but I don't know of a single person who uses their 12" Powerbook for intense graphic design or gaming. If you don't do this kind of stuff, you would never know that your graphics are integrated. I would actually love to see a head to head comparison between the GeforceGO 5200 chipset and the new intel one included. I think we would all be very surprised by the results.

I don't think we will be waiting long for that, someone is bound to do such a benchmark comparison.

All in all, its going to be tough not to immediately sell my 12" Powerbook and not order a Black Macbook. I just don't want to kick myself when they change the processors again in a couple of months.

If I were you rough it out as it were, let the euphoria calm down, see some feedback on the machine from users, and you will probably get a better price for the PBook 12" when the euphoria has calmed. Right this moment the market will be flooded with iBooks and 12" PBooks as people want the 'latest and greatest' and then when it has all calmed, you have thought more, heard all you need to know and definitely want to go for it, then sell up—the market will have stabilised and you should get a bit of a better price than you will thowing it into the market right now.

As far as I am concerned, my 10 month old PowerBook g4 has another 3-4 years service life yet before I consider purchasing any other Mac.

This does not take away from the fact that apart from reservations over the keyboard's feel compared to the PBook 12"—these MacBooks are pretty darn stunning, and will continue to be Apple's bread and butter (they always were when I worked at the Apple Store, if it wasn't an iPod it would either be an iBook or iMac they were after)

Vicky

Redbull
05-16-2006, 05:46 PM
As far as I am concerned, my 10 month old PowerBook g4 has another 3-4 years service life yet before I consider purchasing any other Mac.

Good to see you are not fooled by marketing ploy. I've just had my PB G4 for 14 months now, with 87GB still to spare. Needless to say, I see no reason why I should be obliged to keep up with the fashion tread of having the ''latest'' or ''updated'' gadget in order feel positive about using a computer, rather than feeling somewhat out of connection with the modern world.

The day my 17'' PB G4 dies, I'll consider buying another Mac. The longer it goes on for, the better, as I would be getting my money's worth.

Gethin
05-16-2006, 06:18 PM
Anyone know if the prices on the US store are inclusive or exclusive of sales tax?

Just looking at a 2GHz white one with 1MB ram and it comes to US$1400 (£750) as opposed to £970 in the UK. I know someone who goes back and forwards to the US on a pretty regular basis so I could save a fair amount of money doing that.

By the way - what practical difference does the lack of dedicated graphics card make?

Robin
05-16-2006, 06:23 PM
By the way - what practical difference does the lack of dedicated graphics card make?

It will probably mean World of Warcraft will run like crap. :(
It's a shame really! I know it's not meant as a gaming machine by any stretch of the imagination, but I was looking forward to playing WoW on it just from time to time in the garden. I would play mainly on my insane gaming PC, but if I wanted a bit of fresh air or sun I could pop outside and have a quick go! ;)

Anywho, I'm picking one up on Saturday, so I will install WoW then and report back what I get anyway.

PunkRockTuba
05-16-2006, 06:52 PM
Anyone know if the prices on the US store are inclusive or exclusive of sales tax?

Just looking at a 2GHz white one with 1MB ram and it comes to US$1400 (£750) as opposed to £970 in the UK. I know someone who goes back and forwards to the US on a pretty regular basis so I could save a fair amount of money doing that.

US stores do have sales tax, and the apple store online also includes sales tax. The only problem I can think of with buying one in the US when you live in the UK is if you have a problem and have to send it to apple care, or take it to a genius bar. Im not sure how it would work if you had a macbook that was purchased in the US, it shouldnt make a difference, but you might check before hand.

kaidomac
I took this info from...

...oops.

Now I have read it correctly. Sorry the thing I drew the specs from on Apple's page had the MacBook Pro's hard disk line split in two, with just ATA/100 on the second line. That foxed me, see..

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/uk/Images/comparison_chart.html

Sorry! :flower: Just did not look as close as I should have done.

I thought it seemed a bit odd!

Vicky

Nothing to be sorry about, just didn't want you to order the wrong upgrade drive :doctor:

kaidomac
Is the AppleCare worth getting on an Apple laptop?

MJGUK
05-16-2006, 07:00 PM
Well it is personal opinion/preference really.

Personally I always opt for Apple Care, especially on Laptops.
Mainly because A) There is more to go wrong B) They are portable so they are more likely to get knocked about, damaged etc.

lil
05-16-2006, 07:00 PM
US stores do have sales tax, and the apple store online also includes sales tax. The only problem I can think of with buying one in the US when you live in the UK is if you have a problem and have to send it to apple care, or take it to a genius bar. Im not sure how it would work if you had a macbook that was purchased in the US, it shouldnt make a difference, but you might check before hand.

Not an issue, all Apple notebooks have worldwide warranty. The bugger is having the US keyboard which has a slightly different layout, ie: # instead of £, different size enter key etc. but that's the main thing really.

All Apple computers since sometime late last year have worldwide warranty cover (used to be just the notebooks)

Yes AppleCare is worth getting, but I'm like most people going to take out mine for my PowerBook a month or so before my year is up, unless you have the money, it makes sense kinda to do it later on before your 1st yr of ownership.

If the MacBook is anything like my PBook, then it should be fine. I have used this laptop jsut about everyday for about 8hrs average at a time in the past 10 months and not a glitch (the odd issue as some old posts of mine will testify but no show stoppers.)

Just to reiterate though, Apple has scored a home run on this one. I am hearing good reports of the keyboard. However some of the photos of screen glare worry me a little being such a graphics person—but that's what my PowerMac G4 with its twin 2001FPs are for.

Anyway—good to know come around 2008/9 there should be a good upgrade path from my current little road warrior, and hopefully I can soon get one as my works machine.

Vicky

MJGUK
05-16-2006, 07:03 PM
You don't happen to have any good links to photos of the new Macbook do you, Vicky?

Please :)

youthpastor
05-16-2006, 07:07 PM
Not an issue, all Apple notebooks have worldwide warranty. The bugger is having the US keyboard which has a slightly different layout, ie: # instead of £, different size enter key etc. but that's the main thing really.

All Apple computers since sometime late last year have worldwide warranty cover (used to be just the notebooks)

Yes AppleCare is worth getting, but I'm like most people going to take out mine for my PowerBook a month or so before my year is up, unless you have the money, it makes sense kinda to do it later on before your 1st yr of ownership.

If the MacBook is anything like my PBook, then it should be fine. I have used this laptop jsut about everyday for about 8hrs average at a time in the past 10 months and not a glitch (the odd issue as some old posts of mine will testify but no show stoppers.)

Just to reiterate though, Apple has scored a home run on this one. I am hearing good reports of the keyboard. However some of the photos of screen glare worry me a little being such a graphics person—but that's what my PowerMac G4 with its twin 2001FPs are for.

Anyway—good to know come around 2008/9 there should be a good upgrade path from my current little road warrior, and hopefully I can soon get one as my works machine.

Vicky

So Vicky--I figured you would end up purchashing a 15" MacBook Pro when the time came. You're going to purchase a MacBook instead? Why is that?

PunkRockTuba
05-16-2006, 07:09 PM

Vicky

Its good to know that there is worldwide coverage, I think that is a smart thing to do on Apple's part. I think AppleCare is a must for the portables, I was a little unsure about it but I bought it because I get the student discount and it adds 2 years of warranty and I only have 2 years of school left. Anyways, I bought it and about a week after I bought it ive had to take my powerbook to the genius bar 3 times in 2 weeks for repairs, Ive gotten 2 new logic boards, new fans, 2 new airports, and before that I got a new top case and keyboard. So for me AppleCare was worth it, but for a lot of people it was never needed.

You don't happen to have any good links to photos of the new Macbook do you, Vicky?

Please :)

Im not Vicky, but here is a link so some pictures I got from the macrumors.com forums:

baggss
05-16-2006, 08:00 PM

The price you see on-line in the US store does NOT include sales tax. The tax will be added at the time of sale and will vary from 0% to 9% depending on where the purchase is made. If you are going to have someone buy one for you in the states, find out where he/she will buy it and we can let you know what the tax rate for that state is (it varies by state/county or city), perhaps even the specific city where it will likely be purchased.

If he/she carries it back to the UK, I believe he/she will have to declare it and pay the VAT on it anyhow. There are ways around this, but they don't like to discuss that sort of stuff here, so drop me a PM or e-mail if you want more info.

mynameis
05-16-2006, 08:01 PM
All I need to do is sell my iBook, then I'll get one.

pbook24
05-16-2006, 08:29 PM
now where to find a grand.....? When it magically comes up(selling my camera and lenses and have already replaced them, a grand should come from there) im gettign white 1.83 with a gig, too bad i cant really run aperture. but i guess its not made for that, thats what imac 1.83 core duo is for ;)
im gonna go to the stor this weekend and see if the black is sick enough for me to dive for the extra 500 or so.

campayne
05-16-2006, 08:37 PM
ordering

cjay
05-16-2006, 08:38 PM
I've been holding out, money in hand, waiting for these to arrive and I must say I'm impressed with it specs wise. I don't think I like the black one as it reminds me of a windows unit but that's just aesthetics.

Now, after the initial euphoria of seeing a new product funnily enough I think I prefer the macbook pro. With macbooks being so close in terms of it's specs I think they're going to have to bump up the pro-line.

pbook24
05-16-2006, 08:42 PM
**** people stop wimping out on me on buying my camera, i almost just had 700 bucks in my hand. ****!

kaidomac
05-16-2006, 09:54 PM
I'm starting an info-thread over in the notebook section, feel free to contribute links:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=211953#post211953

jon-san
05-17-2006, 03:11 AM
I played around with the MacBook in Tokyo this morning and I can safely say it is a real work of art, a piece of stunning beauty. I stood there drooling with my mouth hanging open for ten minutes before I could touch it. Not sure why the black one is so much more than the white 2 Gig model - is that luminous paint perhaps? The black is very nice too but the white one will soon be winging its way to me.

christm
05-17-2006, 08:26 AM
i dont think the black suites the macbook only ipods

ctm

kaidomac
05-17-2006, 08:43 AM
i dont think the black suites the macbook only ipods

ctm

Compare:

http://flickr.com/photos/kitetoa/147873418/

Initially I thought black was cool, then weird that it wasn't shiny, but I'm back to cool :)

christm
05-17-2006, 10:34 AM
from the photos they keyboard looks like it has been raised up and doesnt fit in with the main base- is it me or is it different?

thanks

chris tm

kaidomac
05-17-2006, 11:20 AM
Just got off the phone with Apple. They said that the 7200rpm hard drives weren't offered because they won't fit physically, not because there's a heat issue. They're simply too big. I hope someone will find/make one that will work!

jhelm007
05-17-2006, 01:27 PM
Just got off the phone with Apple. They said that the 7200rpm hard drives weren't offered because they won't fit physically, not because there's a heat issue. They're simply too big. I hope someone will find/make one that will work!
OWC has 100GB 7200rpm drives listed as compatible (one is a Hitachi and one is a Seagate), but I don't for sure if they will fit.

Fallooza
05-17-2006, 01:32 PM
ive been wantin ta see pics of the macbook next to a 12" ibook. i found this pic with a powerbook and thought i would share it

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ericfischer/147731088/in/set-72057594136826748/

techster82
05-17-2006, 02:46 PM
thanks for the link Fallooza, I have been wondering how it looks next to a 12" powerbook.

iBrad
05-17-2006, 07:06 PM
I posted earlier that I had bought my MBP less than 24 hours before the upgrade (1.83 GHz -> 2.0 GHz). It was suggested that I call Apple and ask for an upgrade under their Upgrade Protection. They referred me back to the store...in any case I checked back with the store and they told me I could either bring back the one i had but it would be 4 weeks before they had new stock due to product demand or they would give me a discount on the one I had. I reluctantly took the second option not knowing what the discount was because they said they'd have to check on it. After calling me back the next day they gave me a $200 discount! I was pretty pumped about that...0.17 GHz wasn't a huge deal to me, especially for getting such an awesome deal on a brand new MBP. Great service if you ask me!

PunkRockTuba
05-17-2006, 07:33 PM
Thats awesome!

loebjack
05-17-2006, 08:31 PM
We just received some of the new MacBooks and of course wanted to take one apart. Here are some pictures of the inside of Apple's new iBook replacement. It is much easer to take apart than any other Apple laptop and the hard drive comes out with less effort then the RAM.

Pictures here

http://www.powermax.com/articles_reviews/article.php?id=26

validpretense
05-21-2006, 02:37 PM
How about a $700 MacBook with an Intel Core Solo?

techster82
05-21-2006, 02:56 PM
How about a $700 MacBook with an Intel Core Solo?

Very possible, but the case would say Dell, not Apple.

kaidomac
05-21-2006, 09:25 PM
OWC has 100GB 7200rpm drives listed as compatible (one is a Hitachi and one is a Seagate), but I don't for sure if they will fit.

They fit, a couple people over at the Apple Discussion Forums tried them out. The poor Apple reps just sit in a cubicle and take orders over the phone, they don't know too much technical information it seems :) My rep was very sure that they did not take 7200rpm drives due to the size issue (even though they're the same size). Not much heat difference either, apparently.