hello - some help please

Reaction score
Hello everybody. Just some help here if that's ok. I just now did a scan of my Malwarebytes (the free version). And it said "confirm threats remediation: 2 found"
And it listed two threats that came from Pup.Mackeeper it says. On each threat, it says, my name, and then/library... and then Mackeeper.
What does this mean? And how do I get rid of them? Do I press confirm? And why did they show up? Can they harm my computer iMac? thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
got a screen shot you can post? that would be helpful. yes I would delete them if it's allowing you too. mackeeper is bad news. after removing run malwarebytes again and make sure its gone.

OP
A
Reaction score
Hi macgig, I don't think I have mackeeper, even though it showed up. if I do, how do I go about deleting it? and do you delete them by pressing confirm?

- - - Updated - - -

Update: I pressed confirm and they are gone now, just re-scanned and it says I am clean.

- - - Updated - - -

this truly is a wonderful forum

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
search google or these forums. pretty sure removing mackeeper has been discussed before. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
If you did not install the app mackeeper most likely it was installed behind the scenes when you downloaded and installed another app you wanted. Sights like download.com or softpedia.com to name a couple will allow additional apps to tag along with an app you want and both get installed. Most of the time if you are very careful and read all the install menus, you will see the additional apps and can unselect them so they do not install. Or you can skip all that and not download apps from sites you are not sure of.

Lisa

OP
A
Reaction score
Well, I looked it up and it turns out I don't even have mackeeper installed on my iMac as it doesn't even show up in the applications folder. Strange how I had malware connected to it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Not necessarily strange. As I said mackeeper is notorious for "piggy backing" with an install of a legitimate app. It sounds like you got it all removed so all is good!

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Don’t forget, there are multiple Applications folder to check.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Gentle suggestion: Give your topic line the "headline" treatment - a succinct summary of your question, if only what App it concerns.
Many people are looking for help on a Help Forum. It might get you more responses. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.