FileVault - pros? cons?

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been considering turning on FileVault for some time, but continue to hesitate because I'm leery of running into problems with full disk encryption.

I would like to hear from other users on whether or not you like FileVault, or have had success or problems with it.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Too many 'what ifs' and too much very bad History for me to risk it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
I see this is an older post. what about file vault 2? I have this question also. anyone here using filevault 2? any comments on pros and cons.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Nothing wrong with using FileVault 2 provided you're aware of the importance of not losing your passcode. Mac security folks recommend encrypting your hard drive with FileVault if you have data that is at risk because of its sensitivity. Probably a good move for those folks who do a lot of traveling with a portable Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 Apple Macbook Air
Yes! FileVault works well in my computer. Just make sure to secure your account and passcode. Also, try the latest version of FileVault, it is fast and performs well in encrypting the files on your hard drive. So far, no negative comments about FileVault

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
I have a desktop mac, but if its ever stolen, I'm thinking filevault could help protect access to the data. thanks for the replies.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@macgig

For the sake of balance:

Here's how to do it by Apple: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204837

Here's why you should by a firm "believer": https://www.macworld.com/article/28...ilevault-2-and-why-you-absolutely-should.html

Here's just one of many sites mentioning the "problems" one might encounter: https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/275534/downsides-of-encrypting-disk-with-filevault

I take no side on the matter. It's your choice. What is worth emphasising is that:

1. It takes a very, very long time. Many, many hours.

2. Don't ever lose the Recovery Key

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 13 v11.1, i5 2.4 GHz, 256 GBs SSD, 8 GBs DDRs
FileVault 2 encryption doesn't have much of a performance impact, either during the encryption process and/or after the encryption had been completed. Going from FileVault to FileVault 2 certainly did have performance and/or functionality improvements; however, most of the actual performance increase came from the Intel/AMD CPU. Since about 2010, the Intel/AMD CPUs include the AES-NI instruction sets, that's basically offloads the the encryption overhead from the CPU to the AES-NI. In another word, it's hardware based encryption in the CPU, that brings me to my question...

Does macOS FileVault 2 support Self Encrypted Drives, or SEDs? These type of drives are very common nowadays, be that HDD, SSD and NVMe PCIe x4 card, pretty much all of them support Opal SED standards. Instead of encrypting with FileVault 2 the already encrypted content of the SED drive, FileVault 2 could just manage access to the encryption keys that reside on the Self Encrypted Drive.

In the Windows world, Bitlocker is Self Encrypting Drive aware starting in Windows 8 and newer versions. Upon activating, Bitlocker will not encrypt the drive's content and instead, controls access to the SED's encryption keys. Moving the drive to another system and/or booting the PC to a removable storage media still requires authentication for the Self Encrypting Drive. In this case, it pretty much acts the same way as setting the hard drive password in the BIOS/EUFI in the PC world.

Maybe FileVault 3 will have this functionality for future Apple desktops and laptops? If I recall correctly, Apple currently does not ship any system with SEDs that comply with the Opal standard. Maybe I am wrong, or at least I hope I am...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.