Security update failed; call from Apple, Inc??

Reaction score
Today I tried to install the latest security update for El Capitan.
I have a VERY slow Internet connection, hence not beyond El Capitan until I physically take it in to the Apple Genius Bar 1 1/2 hours away.

The download completed after one hour 26 minutes. Then got the message that the system was restarting. OK. Good.
But, it apparently failed. Rebooted itself then got a prompt asking if I'd give crash report info to developers. Bypassed that.
Then message resetting my Mac. Huh?
The it went immediately to updates available and started that very same one all over again.

Amid all of this, I got a phone call with caller ID Apple, Inc. Picked up...no one there.
What is going on?
Called the number and got an Apple store's inventory department!!!
He thought that someone masked his number to a valid Apple number.

My question is - isn't this too much of a coincidence????

Called Apple Care- no help. No idea why it aborted. Does sometimes. Try again.
About the call - no idea.
What about antivirus? Cannot talk about third party software. Check the app store for anti-virus apps and read every one carefully. But, remember, it is third party and they cannot help.

Again, how could I possibly get that call?

Just before all of this, I had been testing a new flash drive [Eaton] that was USB on one end and Lightning connector on the other to send stuff to/from my iPad. Installed the software on the iPad not on iMac. It got a lot of great reviews on Amazon.

Not exactly as advertised, but it did seem to work.
But, when I left the room for a bit Energy Saver hit the 15 minute mark and the screen went dark. Could not wake it up like I usually do by hitting ENTER.
So, I had to do a cold shutdown.

This was why the question about antivirus.
Kind of worried.

Any ideas?
Thank you

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There are no viruses in the wild that can infect your Mac and there are none that can infect your iPad, so no need to worry over that.

As for the update to El Capitan, it sounds like you may have gotten a corrupted update (packet errors) which often happens when the connection is very slow. If possible, take your Mac where WiFi is available (Starbucks, McDonalds, Panera, etc) and try again from there. You didn't mention which Mac you have so obviously if you have a desktop Mac, that would not be possible.

Also, phoning Apple Care will likely get you nowhere since your Mac is no longer covered by warranty or Apple Care. I'm surprised they even spoke with you without charging you for the call.

OP
A
Reaction score
There are no viruses in the wild that can infect your Mac and there are none that can infect your iPad, so no need to worry over that.

As for the update to El Capitan, it sounds like you may have gotten a corrupted update (packet errors) which often happens when the connection is very slow. If possible, take your Mac where WiFi is available (Starbucks, McDonalds, Panera, etc) and try again from there. You didn't mention which Mac you have so obviously if you have a desktop Mac, that would not be possible.

Also, phoning Apple Care will likely get you nowhere since your Mac is no longer covered by warranty or Apple Care. I'm surprised they even spoke with you without charging you for the call.

When I went from Mavericks to El Capitan, I physically brought my iMac to the Genius Bar 1 1/2 hours away. Those guys are great.

About that phone call....wasn't that a little weird?

Something like that has never happened before.

Thank you so much for your response.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
About that phone call....wasn't that a little weird?

Something like that has never happened before.

Probably just a strange coincidence.

Is your Mac up to date and working properly now?? If so, I wouldn't worry about the other stuff and carry on.

PS: There may be a good chance there's a good Authorized Apple Service store/tech somewhere closer to you as the Apple Stores aren't the only good Apple Authorized techs around.

Just saying… :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

OP
A
Reaction score
No, didn't dare try to download again. Internet is pathetic out here in the desert [the area is called Cactus Forest].

Now! That is a good thought. Kind of doubt it, but will check it out. The closest tech guy is only about 15 miles away, but he does not do Macs.

Thanks for your input

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
The closest tech guy is only about 15 miles away, but he does not do Macs.

In ONE word…
AVOID.

EDIT:
Hey, It looks like Phoenix is only an hours drive away according to google maps.
My son does 500+ mile service calls from his home base in Whitehorse Yukon.

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
OP
A
Reaction score
Kind of mid way between Tucson and Phoenix and prefer the drive to Tucson going the scenic route part way. We've been to the Chandler store a couple of times, too.

With this terrible Internet, the only solution seems to be to take the iMac into one of the stores.

Just Googled qualified Mac service and actually found one in Casa Grande which is closer.

I don't have to pay Apple to do the upgrades when we bring the computers into the store.

Thanks for your input.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.