Putting an LCD in an iMac G3 Indigo

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Two thoughts:

1. As I'm sure you know...the IMac G3 originally came with a CRT display. How were you going to get power the LCD display...which requires a lot less power than a CRT display. Basically how were you going to wire things up?

2. I'm pretty sure the display aspect ratios of the original CRT display & the LCD display in the link are diiferent (height & width). The original display is more square...the LCD display is more rectangular (4:3 vs. 16:9).

- Nick

Reaction score
I think some people have completely gutted them and stuck a logic board from a Mac mini or converted it to a PC. I don't think you could get an LCD to work with the original hardware in there though, you would have to completely gut it and do a bit of modification to make ports work since they won't line up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Hope you guys can help me out

At least you're not turning into yet another iMac aquarium, :Angry: but you could try sticking a Mac mini inside as well as a small "external" display monitor and connecting them both together.

That would save you a lot of modifications and problems and probably blow away a lot of your friends minds when they see your finished product.

Try googling it as I'm sure it must have been done before.

Patrick
=====

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
you would have to completely gut it and do a bit of modification to make ports work since they won't line up.

That's one reason they created Dremel type tools and various extension cords.

BTW:
We modded my son's PPC Mac years ago and used some remote control with it and told his friends it was voice activated, and it would turn on when we told to do so.

A simple push on the remote start button when saying "mac start up" and their eyes lit up like saucers. :Evil:

Have fun.

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.