New MacBook

Reaction score
Hello,
After some careful consideration I think I’m about to pull the trigger on getting a new MacBook Pro.

Since I’m still trying to save money I went right to the refurbished machines. On the Apple website I found some nice laptops, but I found similar ones (with the specs I’m looking for) for considerably cheaper on Mac if all trades.

It sure looks like a legitimate site for people to buy/sell Macs but I just want to be 100% sure by asking here.

Mac of all trades—Legit or not?

Thanks

OP
J
Reaction score
I guess my biggest concern is that the computers sold on Mac of all trades have actually had another owner’s hands on them...for who knows how long.

And when I think of a refurbished machine bought directly from Apple, I just get a more secure feeling.

Both appear to have “certified” refurbished products, but I get a Craig’s list vibe when I see a buy/sell website. I could be completely mistaken.

I bought my current 13” refurbished and it was pristine, wrapped, and brand new looking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Someone I use to work with used them for two Macs. This was back during the PPC days and she loved all the extras they through in with the sale. I don't know about recently, but I believe they have a help line where you could talk with them about your questions/issues?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Apple refurbished come with a year of applecare and the option to add applecare+.

I picked a 13" Macbook Pro i5, 256GB with touch bar to price compare. Mac of all trade's price is $1599. They offer a 90 day warranty with the option to buy a longer one. I am also confused - I assume Mac of all trades sends a charger but it is not clear to me and if it is new why no applecare?. http://www.macofalltrades.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MBP-13-31-M17RSG-8256-FS

I took a look at Best Buy to compare prices since I bought my 2017 13" Macbook Pro there. They have new models with one year of applecare and the current price is $50 less than the exact used model on Mac of all trade. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-...test-model-space-gray/5721601.p?skuId=5721601

On Apple refurbished they have the same model for $1529. It also comes with one year of applecare. https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...core-Intel-Core-i5-with-Retina-display-Silver

Just some options.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Just some options.
Lisa

Sure amazing what one can find with a bit of checking and comparisons eh??? :Mischievous:

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Apple refurbished come with a year of applecare and the option to add applecare+.

I picked a 13" Macbook Pro i5, 256GB with touch bar to price compare. Mac of all trade's price is $1599. They offer a 90 day warranty with the option to buy a longer one. I am also confused - I assume Mac of all trades sends a charger but it is not clear to me and if it is new why no applecare?. http://www.macofalltrades.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MBP-13-31-M17RSG-8256-FS

I took a look at Best Buy to compare prices since I bought my 2017 13" Macbook Pro there. They have new models with one year of applecare and the current price is $50 less than the exact used model on Mac of all trade. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-...test-model-space-gray/5721601.p?skuId=5721601

On Apple refurbished they have the same model for $1529. It also comes with one year of applecare. https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...core-Intel-Core-i5-with-Retina-display-Silver

Just some options.

Lisa

Looking at the links you posted I think both the one from Best Buy that you linked to, and the one from Mac of All Trades look like they are both new, and should have Applecare. Best buy allows you to buy Applecare+ with it, but I would think that you should be able to go back and buy apple care direct from Apple after you purchase it. They just want to sell you their warranty instead of Apple's. As for the charger part if I remember correctly Apple stopped including the extension cord part with new laptops, so that is what Mac of All Trades is offering to sell you for an extra $20.

For the OP if you haven't made a decision you're probably fine buying from Mac of All Trades, just be aware that if it is a used or refurbished model from them you won't be able to get Applecare like you could on a refurb direct from Apple. You can always buy Mac of All Trade's warranty, but I have no idea how good it is.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OP:

You need to do some homework on "Mac of all Trades". There have been complaints posted about them and some of their practices. Personally, after reading about them, I would avoid buying anything from them. Best Buy is not the greatest place to purchase a Mac but they are head over heels better than Mac of all Trades. Best place to buy a Mac from is Apple; either new or from their refurbished store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
You need to do some homework on "Mac of all Trades". There have been complaints posted about them and some of their practices. Personally, after reading about them, I would avoid buying anything from them.

I'd say that's good advice and just what the OP originally asked about:
It sure looks like a legitimate site for people to buy/sell Macs but I just want to be 100% sure by asking here.

Mac of all trades—Legit or not?

Thanks

Accept the good advice I'd say.

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.