Exchange mail getting sent to junk

Reaction score
I have the latest OS 10.13.4 on iMac and MacBook Pro. I recently sent up a new .org email on Exchange in  mail. I have added the new email to my contacts but all incoming mail is going to the junk folder. All rules pertaining to this issue in preferences have been done but I'm still having this issue.

Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
10.13.5 is actually the latest version. But I don't think that's the issue. And I'm sorry, but I'm having a hard time understanding what you have done and are seeing. Can you give us more details? What does "all rules pertaining" mean? How did you set up this email? I'm presuming from your statement that you have added an account in Mail that is pointing to an Exchange server at the .org location but that all inbound mail is ending up in Junk folder? Is that the issue and is that how you have it set up?

OP
Jagsfish
Reaction score
I don't have the latest 10.13.5. My computer says I have the latest update at 10.13.4 so I'm confused as to how you have that an update that is not offer to me at this time?
the problem is I have set up an exchange email, I now have 4 email addresses, and all of my incoming email on the exchange email is going to my junk folder.
I'm not sure what else you need to know to help me with this issue.
thank you...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm sorry, but I'm still confused. Let me ask some specific questions to see if I can understand.

1. When you say you have "set up an exchange email" what do you mean, exactly? Are you running an Exchange server, or are you just connecting to an exchange server somewhere else?

2. Is the incoming mail on all four addresses going to Junk, or is it just on one?

3. What does, "all of my incoming mail on the exchange email is going to my junk folder" mean? Is it on the Exchange server junk mail, or on your iMac and MBP using Mail in the Junk folder? Or is it both?

4. What iMac, what MBP? You can click on the  in the upper left corner, then About This Mac and get the details on your systems.

5. In your first post you said
All rules pertaining to this issue in preferences have been done but I'm still having this issue.
Can you tell me what rules pertain to this issue? Junk is normally determined by the system, not from rules?

I think with those answered we can start figuring out what is going on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
What is the .org email you set up? That doesn't sound correct? Do you have an email account with them? Did they give you the instructions on how to add their email to your macOS Mail email client?

OP
Jagsfish
Reaction score
Thank you. I'll try to give you that info as clearly as possible.
1. I added a .org email and when I set it up I used the Exchange email option under internet accounts.
2. Only the Exchange mail is going to the junk folder. My other emails are fine.
3. It's going in the junk folder that contains the junk mail from all 4 of my email accounts.
4. iMac mid 2011 High Suerra 10.13.4. I just noticed I do have 13.5 available to update. MacBook Pr0 2014 4 Thunderbolt 3 ports.
5. I meant junk not rules. In an effort to correct the problem, I went to Mail preferences/junk mail to make sure I had the option Mark as junk but keep in my inbox and filter junk mail checked.
Hopefull this will help. I appreciate your help with this. For 75, I'm ok at figuring out some of these things but on others, i get lost.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, I think we are making progress. You added a new address account that is serviced by an Exchange server at the .org host. And you are getting mail from the server that is addressed to you, but it's going into Junk. And it's not being kept in your Inbox and marked as Junk, but being moved to the Junk folder and not appearing in your Inbox. If that is all correct, about all I can suggest is to re-check the Mail settings. Open Mail, click on the word "Mail" in the top bar, then Preferences and choose the Junk tab. I would recommend setting it up like in this picture, which is taken from my own system:

2018-06-12 11.39.28 am.png

Once you make the changes, I would reboot and restart Mail just to make sure the changes go into action.

I still see some messages added to the Junk folder, but they appear in my Inbox as well, so I don't care about the Junk folder copy.

If my description of what's happening isn't right, let me know what I got wrong and we'll try again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
I was always told to leave Mac Mail app, Junk Mail Filtering turned off as it was done at the server level.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bob, that depends entirely on the server, and on how well the server identifies Junk. Some servers do a reasonably good job, others do nothing.

OP
Jagsfish
Reaction score
Correct on all. I have made the changes you suggested and restarted mail.
The .org email was set up for people to subscribe to a free newsletter I send out once a week. Those who are subscribing obviously are contacting me for the first time. And they are doing so by click on a link in the newsletter. This is the link that I use. http://wjct.us5.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=7f7ae81022d41a55ed4587878&id=d6f35b09eb

Is it possible it has something to do with the link? I'm getting plenty of responses but all in the junk file.

The good thing is that I am not losing the emails, i just need to check the junk file.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't click on links, so I cannot comment on your particular service. Maybe write a rule that says anything addressed to that address is copied to Inbox? It will still show up in Junk, but also in the Inbox. Or another way is a rule to MOVE the Junk to Inbox. But then ALL the junk will end up in the Inbox. Your call.

Maybe someone else will have a different approach.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you referring to the Newsletter receivers? When they get your newsletter, it always goes into their "junk" mailbox?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just thinking out loud here, but something in the incoming mail is triggering the Junk filter to think it's junk. Try Checking the "Perform Custom actions (Click Advanced to configure)" option, then in Advanced write a rule that any email FROM whomever is the "sender" in these emails will be. I'm assuming that the service supporting the .org where they "click" as you say, sends their information to you, so you can write a rule that anything from that address can be put in Inbox, not Junk.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.