Add command to right click

Reaction score
I am a recent convert from Windows and am making good progress on the transition. There is one nagging issue that I would really like to resolve.

There is now way to create a new text file with a right-click. Almost everywhere on the desktop or in finder, I can right-click and create a new folder, but there is no way to create a new text file. I don't need one like windows where you can create all kinds of new files for office, notepad, and many other applications. I would be satisfied if I could create a fie for the built-in TextEdit app. Is there a way to do this?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
We could probably create something using Automator. Are you looking to simply create a new blank file or is there specific text that needs to be in the documet? In other words, what exactly are you trying to do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS X version 10.11.6, iMac early 2011, MacBookPro
Open TextEdit while on the Desktop window.

TextEdit icon should be in the Dock. Put the cursor on the icon and hold (either left or right click will do). A fly-out menu will have the options available as well as a listing of the most recent TextEdit files opened. Move the cursor over to the selection you want and click. It includes: Open. If the application is already open, New Document is another option.

Here's a jpeg showing the fly-out menus when TextEdit is already open. Also if the TextEdit app has a file open and active, press Command + N for a new blank document. (P.S. I put my Dock on the left side of the screen rather than the bottom so it looks a little different.) I'm assuming you want to use the TextEdit application.

TextEdit opened.jpg

OP
P
Reaction score
We could probably create something using Automator. Are you looking to simply create a new blank file or is there specific text that needs to be in the documet? In other words, what exactly are you trying to do?

I am just wanted to create a blank text file like textfile.txt. The same thing that New Folder does.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
You can do that with two clicks. If Textedit is on the Dock, click it once to open it. The opening panel will then have a box labelled "New Document" that will do exactly what you want, create a new document. If Textedit is not on your dock, you can open the Applications folder, find Textedit and drag a copy to the Dock, or you can open TextEdit and it will appear on the Dock at which time you can right click on it and select Options>Keep in Dock and it will be there even if Textedit isn't open.

It may be possible to program something to do those two clicks for you, but you'll then have to find that script and click it, which will probably be more than two.

Is two clicks too many?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Give this a quick read.Don't worry about the commansds in the commands at the beginning of the article. Later in the article there is a link to a PDF as well as directions to build it yoursel. No actual programming is involved. It uses Automator which is already present on your Mac.

OP
P
Reaction score
Give this a quick read.Don't worry about the commansds in the commands at the beginning of the article. Later in the article there is a link to a PDF as well as directions to build it yoursel. No actual programming is involved. It uses Automator which is already present on your Mac.

Wow, this is EXACTLY what I needed. Thank you very much!!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're welcome. I thought that might do the trick.

I like Autommator although some of the actions I've used in the past need to be updated. You can do a lot of interesting thiings with it without being a programmer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.