need super help to reset the system preference password

Reaction score
Hi !

I am new at macbooks. for some reason my system preference wont let me enter ... the administrator password is ok but the system preference in everytime wrong.

Any ideas how i can reset this????

P.S i've run multiply times the cmd+R combination to run at terminal the reset process but this action reset my main password not the system preference

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I assume you might be referring to the "root user" and its permissions and "password" use.

Have a look here:
How to enable the root user on your Mac or change your root password
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT204012

WARNING: An inexperienced user can easily kill any OS X Mac and all its data when using "root access".

You've been warned!!!

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i am trying to recover / reset this think .....

OK, and I'm confused as you said earlier…"the administrator password is ok ". So, if so, use it. Just enter the info.

But in fact, I think you have more problems than that or I really don'y understand your situation, I don't even see any sign of any "admin" user in your screen shot above.

You can try this:
https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/164331/i-dont-have-administrator-account-on-my-mac

Or this, and try some of the suggestions, like a new user install process that should be some of the hits here:
https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=Mac+no+admin+user&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
, I don't even see any sign of any "admin" user in your screen shot above.

You don't see where it says "Enter an Administrators name and Password" in the pic?
OP, all it's asking for is your name and password, assuming you are logged in as an administrator. If you are a regular user, find an administrator or log in as one.
System Preferences is where you are...It's not a separate password.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
His screenshot shows that he's logged in as a Standard User. He either needs to log out and log back in as an Admin or as Craig advises, enter his Admin user name and password.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
And in the background there is no admin user listed, which cannot be. The system won't run without at least one admin.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And in the background there is no admin user listed, which cannot be. The system won't run without at least one admin.

Thanks Jake, that was just my original point and my understanding as well, but there's usually a way around it it seems that should work, maybe…: ;D

Remove the Apple Setup Done file by typing rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone then start a new admin user setup…
https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/164331/i-dont-have-administrator-account-on-my-mac

Can't Log In to Your Mac? Create a New Admin Account
https://www.lifewire.com/create-new-admin-account-for-login-issues-2259976

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Have you recently purchased the machine? If so the former user set up the user account for you and cancelled his Admin Account.

If so, whenever you purchase a used machine, download the operating system from the App Store, format and erase the hard drive and run the Installer and set up your own Admin Account.

OP
A
Reaction score
32643669_2086394344930077_585626813808508928_n.jpg

Thats what it says in the cmd+s panel when i type what everyone says
/sbin/mount -uw /

and afterwards when i type the
rm /var/db/ .applesetupdone
it says error

OP
A
Reaction score
is there any way to create or retrieve the admin account username and password?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Have you tried cmd+R, to get into Recovery? The you can reinstall the OS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.