making sure that when I view 4k videos, it uses exactly a 4k quantity of pixels

Reaction score
If I load a 4k quicktime video, then the video loads in the correct size for a 4k video, given that the screen is 5k. So when i watch in other ways, specifically through youtube on chrome, how do I make sure the video size is exactly a 4k "quantity" of pixels, no more, no less?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for that. I don't think it addressed what I'm trying to figure out.

4k is 3840 pixels wide, while my screen is 5120 pixels wide. I'm assuming that taking 3840 pixels of information and stretching it across 5120 pixels of resolution degrades the image quality. I'm also assuming there is a way to make my player size exactly 3840 of the 5120 pixels so that doesn't happen. When I play 4k videos in quicktime, that's exactly what happens. This is what I mean. If that link explained my question, then i didn't understand the explanation! oops.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I'm sorry, but I don't even know why you are asking the question. Video resolution is whatever you set, up to the maximum information in the video file. So for 4k, if the image is 3840 pixels wide and you display it at "native" or "original" or whatever the video software calls it, it should use 3840 pixels as the width. But if you shrink or stretch the video window, the player will try to adjust the image, either stretching the video over more pixels on the screen or dropping some to fit into a smaller window. The file will still be a 4k video, presumably with the same 3840 pixels of information.

So what is it you are trying to do? You say you play 4k videos in quicktime and from your description it's doing what you say you want, which is to have one pixel of information be one pixel on the screen. Or do I misunderstand what you mean when you said, "that's exactly what happens?" I took that to mean that quicktime opened a window roughly 80% of the screen width to display the video. But if what you meant was that it went to full screen, then change the setting in Quicktime to use native resolution.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for that. I don't think it addressed what I'm trying to figure out.

I'm sorry, but I don't even know why you are asking the question.

Thanks Jake.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I believe, OP is looking to confirm YouTube videos play at 4k. I don't do youtube, but if the small movie window is 4k, then when you enlarge it, it should retain that setting?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't see how a "small movie window" is 4k. The file BEHIND the small video may be 4k, but if you don't have the pixels in the window, it won't be at full resolution. Can't be. If you run a 4k video file in a window 1000 pixels wide, you won't see the full resolution. But the file that creates the small video window could be 4K, but doesn't need to be for a 1000 pixel window. And it won't be any sharper than a native 1000 pixel file either, as the window restriction will force the software to drop pixels to fit.

I still don't understand what amkirkland is trying to do or to find out. Maybe the problem can be restated a different way?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I still don't understand what amkirkland is trying to do or to find out. Maybe the problem can be restated a different way?

Maybe this might help provide some help and answers:
How to Play 4k Video
https://www.wikihow.com/Play-4k-Video

I think understanding and describing resolution is one of the worst things to try and understand or explain properly in the visual/video world. TV's and computers and monitors included. :Sleeping:

Or maybe it's just me and my brain. :Oops:

- Patrick
======

OP
A
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but I don't even know why you are asking the question. Video resolution is whatever you set, up to the maximum information in the video file. So for 4k, if the image is 3840 pixels wide and you display it at "native" or "original" or whatever the video software calls it, it should use 3840 pixels as the width. But if you shrink or stretch the video window, the player will try to adjust the image, either stretching the video over more pixels on the screen or dropping some to fit into a smaller window. The file will still be a 4k video, presumably with the same 3840 pixels of information.

So what is it you are trying to do? You say you play 4k videos in quicktime and from your description it's doing what you say you want, which is to have one pixel of information be one pixel on the screen. Or do I misunderstand what you mean when you said, "that's exactly what happens?" I took that to mean that quicktime opened a window roughly 80% of the screen width to display the video. But if what you meant was that it went to full screen, then change the setting in Quicktime to use native resolution.

I get that the question is confusing. I'm trying to make youtube do the same thing that QT does. QT opens in native resolution, Youtube fits it to whatever the size of the window is. I want to make my player window in youtube match the native resolution of the file.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, that is an entirely different question than the original. It might work to make the youtube video full screen. I don't know if your browser will then stretch the image, but I suspect the you'll have the video in full whatever mode with black area around the image. If the video actually fills the screen, then you can leave full screen and just stretch the image until it is about 80%.

Exact? No. I don't know how to force that from Youtube. I don't visit the place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I want to make my player window in youtube match the native resolution of the file.

Ahhh yes as Jake stated, Youtube that does video stuff and associated things differently.

For that I'd check out a few sites like:
YouTube Gets 4K Streaming: Here's How to Watch it
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/youtube-4k-streaming,news-23947.html

YouTube HDR: Here's how to find and watch YouTube videos in HDR
https://www.pocket-lint.com/tv/news...s-how-to-find-and-watch-youtube-videos-in-hdr

And a few other hits you can modify if needed:
'how to watch Youtube 4k video'
https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=how+to+watch+Youtube+4k+video&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

EDIT: And don't forget this:
Why Can’t My TV Stream 4K Video from YouTube?
Read more at https://www.soundandvision.com/content/why-can’t-my-tv-stream-4k-video-youtube#OiCtpro2JGZBWPsc.99

The problem is that not all playback devices, Ultra HDTVs included, can stream and play 4K content from YouTube at full resolution.

What’s going on? The limitation is due to insufficient hardware support for VP9, the proprietary video coding format developed by YouTube-owner Google specifically to handle Ultra HD video. I, too, have had issues with Ultra HDTVs and Ultra HD Blu-ray players failing to display YouTube videos at 4K resolution when using the built-in app.

Read more at https://www.soundandvision.com/content/why-can’t-my-tv-stream-4k-video-youtube#OiCtpro2JGZBWPsc.99

- Patrick
======

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.