Disable/turn off Time Machine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 inch iMac - Ventura. iPhones 8 and MacBook Air - Catalina.
Hello everyone, it is "trouble"once again. I am brassed off with Time Machine and would prefer to switch it OFF! OK I know it is an essential part of the system but I just do not like it one little bit. I am running a 2017 iMac 21inch with High Sierra OS 10.13.4, I have looked in 'system preferences' and clicked on time machine; low and behold it activates the program but no-where is there a slider switch to turn the blessed thing off. I have unticked Backup Automatically but cannot disable Time Machine. I use SuperDuper as my backup, which is my preference. My backup disc is external and plugged in all the time, I have clicked 'Options in Time Machine' and removed the Time Machine drive leaving the SuperDuper disc high lighted. I hope that all this messing about will solve my problem or must I continue to wrestle with Time Machine? Sorry I am such a nuisance with stupid things but this is bugging me!

Very best regards from Keith in Derby England.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Keith

Make sure your Time Machine External Hard Drive (EHD) is attached/mounted. That is important. Then:

Open System Preferences.

Click on Time Machine.

Uncheck "Backup Automatically". Really, that should stop TM. But in the same window, to the right, you will see the External Hard Drive or Drives that air being used for Time Machine. And under them is "Add or Remove Backup Disk".

Click on this, then choose your Time Machine EHD and "Remove".

Once done, unmount the EHD properly. Then you can reformat that EHD and use it for a different purpose.

Ian

OP
sllewk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 inch iMac - Ventura. iPhones 8 and MacBook Air - Catalina.
Hi Ian, thank you for that advise, I have followed it and hopefully that will settle the problem.

Best regards from Keith in Derby.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.