Problems installing software on MacBook Pro

Reaction score
I purchased an Epson WorkForce Pro WF-4740, installed the software from the Epson site (updated the drivers too) because as you know there is no disk drive on the MacBook. Everything went well until it was time to install the scanner software and it just kept going around in a loop and never installed. I called Epson tech support and after taking over my computer and looking around, they said the reason was Adware on the Mac and they wanted to sell me a program that will remove the Adware for $159. I declined. I can scan directly from the printer to a flash drive, but it would be so much easier if I could do it from my Mac.

Have any of you had this problem with new hardware installations? If so, how did you resolve the problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
You don't say what model MBP or OS version you are working with. Check that you have the right Epson driver for your OS.

No need to pay for apps to get rid of adware etc. If you haven't already, install the free app Malwarebytes, and Adblock and Ghostery add-ons for your browser. Run Malwarebyres and that will tell you if you have any malware/adware, and clean it up. Reboot the machine.

Then try a re-install of the software.

Adblock stops ads downloading and Ghostery prevents a trail from one site to another - you look at dining chairs, for instance, then loads of ads pop up for the same.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/
https://adblockplus.org/
https://www.ghostery.com/

Reaction score
I can't see a scenario where Epson "takes over a computer" nor recommends buying software not related to Epson (or even related to Epson) so I am sensing there's more to this than we are being told.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yeah, I have to agree. It sounds like she may have latched onto a phished site that was trying to sell her bogus software. Epson maintains a site but it's only for drivers and trouble shooting various problems. There is no way they or anyone else (except Apple support) should be taking over her computer. At least she was smart enough to decline their bogus software sale.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I can't see a scenario where Epson "takes over a computer" nor recommends buying software not related to Epson (or even related to Epson) so I am sensing there's more to this than we are being told.

+1 — strike that, make it +2. I agree completely!!

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
You can scan using Image Capture, in the Applications folder. The driver would have been installed, and if you go into System Preferences > Printers & Scanners, then select "Scan", if it is listed there, you can scan from it. Try the "Open Scanner" button, that will also open your Scan software, if installed.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
You can also scan directly from Printer and Scanner Preferences in System Preferences. I used a HP scanner/printer this way for ages never bothering to install the HP scan software. Just select the Scan tab in the Printer and Scanner Preferences window and the scanner should warm up and open the settings window.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
TeamViewer; used it several times.

It seems to be well supported in the UK, but not much Mac/Safari support it looks like:

How to start an Epson remote desktop session with TeamViewer

Epson are now offering a remote desktop sessions using TeamViewer to allow a technical agent to connect and control your computer in an attempt to resolve an issue you may be experiencing.
https://www.epson.co.uk/viewcon/corporatesite/products/mainunits/faq/8073/18783

But wouldn't it be nicer if Apple and the printer/scanner folks could get things together better for the Mac user and they "just worked".

What a great idea and phrase that would be eh!!! ;D

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
All that still doesn't explain the "$159.00 adware removal program" they tried to sell her. Still sounds like a first class scam to me, Epson or no Epson and/or TeamViewer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All that still doesn't explain the "$159.00 adware removal program" they tried to sell her. Still sounds like a first class scam to me, Epson or no Epson and/or TeamViewer.

Yeah, I was just getting a bit off topic and mildly ranting but that "support" call sure sounds like some sort of SCAM to me. And I'd doubt that the UK HP support staff works that differently to the NA staff.

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.