• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

10 Wonderful Years

Reaction score
My first 'computer' was a Gateway purchased in January 1997. That one, & 2 other HP PC’s I purchased later, lasted a total of 11 years.

On April 27 2008, I bought a 21” iMac & never looked back. I've had to upgrade the OS 4 times. 2 of those were free & the other 2 were $20. Upgraded the RAM from 2 to 6 GB $130
That's it, no virus protection/security software, etc

While it's not as fast as it was in 2008, it still works fine.

Almost forgot. Thanks to those here at the forum who helped me out over the years. When I look back & see some of the questions I asked, I'm surprised no one said something like
"what kind of an idiot are you ?
But if memory serves, none of you ever did.
That shows how classy this forum is.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Congrats on your tenth anniversary of sorts. Any plans to celebrate with some new gear?

OP
easilyscan
Reaction score
Congrats on your tenth anniversary of sorts. Any plans to celebrate with some new gear?

Thanks
Maybe as early as this fall. I'm a storm chaser, & use iMovie for most of my editing. Went through quite a few crashes/lock ups last year, & now I'm shopping for a 4K camcorder.
It will only get worse. I can only hope that new iMacs are as bulletproof as this one.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Wow! I wish my first computer lasted me 10 years. Got a Dell computer for 1,000 dollars and it only lasted 5 years. Switched to a $300 dollar laptop and it lasted me 1 year. Still working but bough the wrong specs. Really small memory. Now switched to a Macbook Pro and have it for almost 1 year now.

Not unusual for many Apple computer users to have this experience. I'm mainly still working with two 2011 MacBook Pro's (each 7 years old)...and a 2010 MacBook Air (8 years old).:)

And BELIEVE ME...these computers have seen many many many hours of use. Not sitting somewhere collecting dust & used once/week to do something. My 17" MacBook Pro has probably been in use 8-12 hours almost every day since I got it in 2011!:) Only recently did I replace the hard drive.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
I can relate to that as well. In 2008 I wanted a computer that was working for me instead of me working for the computer. Bought a Mac and never looked back. Last year I completely switched from OSX to iOS devices and now i no longer use the MacBook Air. IPad Pro all the way and it suits me well.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Similar experience here too.

My first iMac - bought in 2007 is still seeing daily use and working just fine. My sister now has it and loves it. My 2010 MacBook is stilling strong and a new SSD and RAM brought it bang unto date. I've even still got an iPod from 2006 or so that works like new.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.