Photos on iPad resolution quality question

Reaction score
Photos taken with a nice Sony DSLR and then transferred to the iPad. It appears the files on the iPad are not as high in resolution as they were on the SD card. Looking at them in the Photo app. Does the iPad store the high rez files somewhere else?

thanks

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
How were they transferred? You can control the quality of pictures taken on the iPad itself, but files sync'ed over remain at whatever size/resolution they were originally at. How are you checking the resolution of the pictures on the iPad?

OP
J
Reaction score
The iPad and Sony camera belong to one of my customers. She just brought me the iPad and then emailed me the photo. I checked it's quality in Photoshop. I don't know how she transferred the file.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi jerr3d

As you are in the business, so to speak, you will already realise that the original Sony DSLR photo has undergone some changes which make it impossible to match resolution.

Picture on Sony DSLR - transferred to iPad, how? Don't know. Model and vintage of the iPad is not known - early standard model or latest Retina Pro model?

And then there's the email. Sent in original size/full resolution or compressed for the email?

To make a meaningful comparison you need the DSLR specs, the iPad specs, how the transfer was made, and what compression, if any was used for the email.

It's a complicated issue. Let's see if we can sort this out.

Ian

OP
J
Reaction score
I believe she emailed the photo from her Photos album. Is there a way to navigate on the iPad to where the original file resides?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Hi jerr3d

As you are in the business, so to speak, you will already realise that the original Sony DSLR photo has undergone some changes which make it impossible to match resolution.

Picture on Sony DSLR - transferred to iPad, how? Don't know. Model and vintage of the iPad is not known - early standard model or latest Retina Pro model?

And then there's the email. Sent in original size/full resolution or compressed for the email?

To make a meaningful comparison you need the DSLR specs, the iPad specs, how the transfer was made, and what compression, if any was used for the email.

It's a complicated issue. Let's see if we can sort this out.

Ian

Wouldn't just making a photos file size comparison give some rough indication of any image loss or not ????

I guess you can tell I don't do much photo work. :Evil:

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
This is really hampering, someone suggested me to use Photo Transfer App is that cool.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
This is really hampering, someone suggested me to use Photo Transfer App is that cool.
Is this a question?

What is really hampering?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

Well, at least it's FREE (or theoretically so) so you could give it a try.

Maybe read the comments at both places, here and the linked App Store:
https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/47659/photo-transfer-app

Some info at the developers site:
http://www.phototransferapp.com/mac/

REQUIREMENTS
Access to a Wi-Fi network is required for this application to work. Some corporate and public Wi-Fi networks may not allow connections to be established between devices.
OS X 10.9 or later, 64-bit processor
This application requires having "Photo Transfer App" installed on your iPhone or iPad (Free with an option to upgrade for $6.99/year)
or "Photo Transfer App" installed for Android Devices (Free with an option to upgrade for $4.99)

PS: Check the alternate suggestions at macupdate.com.

Sometimes "FREE" isn't always the best route.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Tips for the photos

It is normal to find out the photos which are in the i pad but having the issue with the resolution which it having the technical issue then only it occurs it in the same way so for that dell printer support will guide to show the process of the query and it will helpful too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.