Md101ll/a

Reaction score
I have a 2010 MacBook Pro that I am looking into replacing. I purchased it refurbished directly from Apple in 2011. The screen is detaching and no longer communicates with my iPhone since the last update. I was told it was a memory issue but freeing up memory did nothing to fix the problem. I am not able to spend $1500-$2000 on a new machine. I am a photographer and beginner blogger and I have well over 10,000 photos that I am moving to an external drive. I was excited to find a MacBook Pro on several sites refurbished for around $650. Doing my research the specs are very similar to the MacBook Pro offered by the Apple store. Operating system. Memory, processor,ram the same, doesn't offer the Retina display but I’m ok with that. Model number MD101LL/A was produced in 2012. I worry that if I purchase this MacBook that the internal components will be obsolete soon, since I tried to have Mac rebuild my current MacBook and was laughed at saying the parts are even made the same anymore. Are my suspicions correct? Would I be wasting my money purchasing model number MD101LL/A. I have gotte 8 years out of my current and still limping by. Logic tells me to not replace my 2010 model with a 2012 model

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
And your logic is guiding you in the right direction. While you will have to deal with the various electronic issues with a machine that is 6+ years old, the OS and software march on and will obsolete that machine within a couple of years. It sounds like you want to keep your machine for a long time and I fear you'll be doing this search again in a couple of years when things don't work anyway.

I would suggest going to the Mac Refurbished route and going back to 2015 model (which is the oldest version they will show) and picking that up. You will save some money on purchasing new, but you get the 3 year warranty that will be useful and also support for 8+ years without having to worry about upgrading.

So would you rather spend $650 every couple of years to upgrade to a machine that is a couple of years newer or spend $1500 to upgrade once for every 8+ years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
@ mods and admins
BTW and OT but…

I didn't want to start a new subject, and as this thread subject title is so typical, I'm wondering why so many new member's posts are being posted with such short subject titles lately.

Many are just useless as to what the thread subject is actually about and becomes almost a waste of time to read the post to find out what it's all about.

Maybe a dialog box or something could be added or a sticky to suggest using a proper subject, but I guess this isn't a good time with the pending changeover etc. But maybe the word could be spread about and maybe it would catch on – title the thread subject appropriately. PLEASE!!!!

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Granted, the title is a bit obscure but instead of reading the entire post you can just hover your cursor over it and get an idea of whether or not you wish to read it. However, most of us should recognize that the OP was referring to a specific MacBook Pro model.

OP
C
Reaction score
I’m sorry I didn’t mean to offend you. I thought putting a specific model number in would get a specific answer which I got. I’ll make sure I’m more specific next time.

OP
C
Reaction score
Raz0redge thank you for your input. You specifically told me what I needed to know. I appreciate it!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I’m sorry I didn’t mean to offend you. I thought putting a specific model number in would get a specific answer which I got. I’ll make sure I’m more specific next time.

Not a problem, most of us understood what you were referring to. Glad we were able to able help you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I’m sorry I didn’t mean to offend you.

No offense on your part at all cjhunter12. Sorry if upset you or your enquiry and welcome to the mac-forums.

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.