blocking adverts in Safari

Reaction score
How do I stop the irritating advertisements from invading Safari pages. I have ticked to stop Pop-up adverts?
Richard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Download and install AdBlock Plus. (free)
Be aware that some sites are now picking up the fact that an Ad Blocker is installed and asking you to turn it off if you want to proceed. Otherwise, you only get what is on the first page. You can't click "continue reading" or whatever, unless you comply with their wishes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
You can also get Ghostery from ghostery.com and set it to block various trackers and beacons that monitor what you are doing and trigger ads based on that information. Coupled with AdBlock it ends up with a pretty clean page. As toMACsh said, some sites will warn you about the fact you are blocking ads, leaving it up to you whether or not you want to be tracked by that site in exchange for what you need from them. Most of the time I don't need the site as much as they need me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Plus, if you use Facebook, download FB Purity which allows extensive blocking of all sorts

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Plus, if you use Facebook, download FB Purity which allows extensive blocking of all sorts
Thanks for that tip. I'm relatively new to FB and hadn't thought of looking for an ad blocker for that.

Also, need to reinstall Adblock Plus.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Like Jake said above, if a site refuses to let me proceed because my ad blocker is on, I leave the site. I understand their need to pay the bills but they're not going to do it at my expense tracking me so they can send me junk email.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Like Jake said above, if a site refuses to let me proceed because my ad blocker is on, I leave the site. I understand their need to pay the bills but they're not going to do it at my expense tracking me so they can send me junk email.
My sentiments exactly. I stopped caring about what the sites want, a few years ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
My sentiments exactly. I stopped caring about what the sites want, a few years ago.

I'll second that ferrarr. As far as I am concerned it is there loss, not mine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
They're not going to snooker me either!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.