• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

foreign keyboard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2017 running Mojave, iPhone 12, iPad 6th generation
hi all
I am taking Spanish and have added the Spanish keyboard to my settings.
am using word but may want to use in excel also.

does anyone know if I can add keyboard shortcut to my MPB touch bar at top.
or do I have to go into settings each time I want to type in Spanish?

also can I add the emojis there also.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Actually, it's easy to setup an alternate keyboard without having to go to settings each time. Just choose your language (Canadian English) and display it in your top menu bar. That should show a small Canadian Flag. Now click on the flag and then select the Spanish keyboard as an alternate keyboard for selection. Then all you have to do is click on the Canadian flag and select the Spanish keyboard.

I have an alternate keyboard set that way and it's very easy to switch back and forth from US English to my other language. I have no idea if you can place a shortcut on your Touch Bar, someone else will have to take a stab at that.

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well its easy to get the option to display in menu
tho when I opened a new word doc and began to type in Spanish...the ~ an ' marks did not appear.
e.g.: years .....anos should show as anös. bathroom....banos should be bańos wash....lavese should be lávese

chscag....does your language have these diacritical marks and do they show for you when you type the word??

should I bet setting another option somewhere?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, the Spanish keyboard selection should include all accent marks and the Tilde over años like this. My other language is a non Roman alphabet but it does display all characters correctly and those that need joining.

Adios señora, hasta luego. :)

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mucho gracias chscag
I must be doing something wrong......
I just got a copy of Spanish keyboard from internet and see that some of the letters are in different spots..like the ñ....so maybe that is my issue...will play bit more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
should I bet setting another option somewhere?

Try adding the "Keyboard Viewer" to your menu as well and then show it to get a better idea of what will be typed with or without a modifier key.

BTW: I don't know what Spanish keyboard from internet you got as I thought all one needed was the one that gets installed with the OS X and its stuff.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Now click on the flag and then select the Spanish keyboard as an alternate keyboard for selection. Then all you have to do is click on the Canadian flag and select the Spanish keyboard.

Hmm. The only option that gave me was to open Keyboard Preferences, and there was nothing referring to an "alternate" keyboard. :Confused:

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Right: this is how you do it -

System Preferences > Language & Region > Keyboard Preferences > Input Sources, then click on "+" > scroll down till you see Spanish > click on it > Add.

The keyboard icon seen in the top menu bar will be your first choice. Click on it and both keyboards will be on offer. Make your choice.

You can, in fact, have as many keyboard languages as you wish. They will all be on offer.

BTW, the Spanish Keyboard, chosen this way, has all the correct diacritical marks.

Ian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BTW, the Spanish Keyboard, chosen this way, has all the correct diacritical marks.

Your explanation was better than mine Ian. Perhaps Señora Lori will now know how to get the Spanish keyboard to show with the proper accent marks.

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thank you ian....I did all that. it is just when I click on icon to indicate Spanish keyboard...not all the letters show up with the diacritical marks when I was typing. I know it should as others have no problem.
oh well....I am not going to do much typing in Spanish anyway....I can always just hold the letter down a bit longer and the drop down will show with various options.
mucho gracias

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Hold down the keys with diacritical marks and eventually a window will open with the options numbered. Tap the number and you get the letter with diacritical marks.

ńñ

Easy!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.