LG Ultrawide and USB/Volume control

Reaction score
I have a LG Ultrawide hooked on my macbook (mid-2015 w/High Sierra) via HDMI. I would like have the USB ports from the monitor working with the Macbook and be able to control voulume.

If I hook the macbook and monitor with a Thunderbolt cable (the monitor supports Thunderbolt), would that work?

Thank you,
Michel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
What does the manual for your exact model number monitor tell you?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Did you look for the model number for the monitor? You did not provide it, in order for anyone to help you?

OP
M
Reaction score
Did you look for the model number for the monitor? You did not provide it, in order for anyone to help you?

The model number is 34UC98. But that question could be asked for any model of monitor with speakers and USB port.

My question is simple: will linking my mac with a thunderbolt cable with a non-Apple monitor do the job?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
And the simple answer is: It depends on the monitor. Hence, you need to find a technical spec or more detailed user manual for that monitor to see if it supports that interface that way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
OK. I went here: http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-34UC98-W#manuals
and I looked at the manual. It was totally silent on the subject of both. But under USB (page 20) it does imply that the ports are a USB hub. Whether or not that hub is attached to the Thunderbolt port in the monitor is not clear. But again, on page 21, under "Thunderbolt connection," it says that "Peripheral devices connected to the USB IN port can be controlled from the PC" which implies that the USB hub is, in fact, attached through the TB interface.

From that, it would appear that if you use a TB cable, the monitor should work to connect attachments to the USB. Whether or not you can control volume is totally missing from the manual, as far as I can tell.

OP
M
Reaction score
And the simple answer is: It depends on the monitor. Hence, you need to find a technical spec or more detailed user manual for that monitor to see if it supports that interface that way.

It does with my PC. What would be the point of having USB ports on the monitor if it cannot interface with the PC?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It does with my PC. What would be the point of having USB ports on the monitor if it cannot interface with the PC?
This information was not provided in your OP. If it worked with my non macOS PC, I would try it with my macOS portable PC (MBP or MB or MBA),

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.