KEYCHAIN location

Reaction score
I want to access KEYCHAIN to make a copy of its contents to store elsewhere before demolishing it as I am now using a dedicated password program.

Does anyone know how to do this or failing that where the KEYCHAIN folder is located please?

Paul

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Paul

If what you want is access to Keychain and its contents, use the keyboard shortcut-
Command + Spacebar (which brings ups Spotlight) and type in keychain, then hit Enter. Or Finder > Applications > Utilities > Keychain Access app, which takes longer.

You will see all your entries there. You will need your Admin PW to read the passwords.

I have to confess that I've never thought about copying/moving the contents , but this Apple Article will tell you all about Keychain:

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH20120?locale=en_US

But be aware: Note: Passwords stored in the iCloud keychain are encrypted and stored on your computer and can’t be copied. To transfer these keychain items to another computer, set up iCloud keychain on the other computer using your iCloud user name and password. The other computer will sync with the iCloud keychain items on your Mac.

Please post back to tell us if this helps.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.