1st day on an iMac trouble with networking

Reaction score
I am on my home network and in Finder I see all my network shares.. The problem is when I click on any of them I get a message that says “alien” can’t be opened because the original item can’t be found."

What causes this and how do I fix it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
What causes this and how do I fix it?

A few more details of your network situation could sure help to maybe provide a solution.

What happens if you try and setup a "share" as if it was the first time you tried??

Maybe they need to be established again or maybe some are not even available or the device isn't even running???

- Patrick
======

OP
P
Reaction score
Okay, my home network has been running for 4 years with 5 PC's on it. Each PC has one or more folders shared for everyone on the network. They are all on the same wifi network "wowza". The new iMac is on "wowza". This morning I took the iMac off the network for a couple minutes and put it back on. I also made a new share on one of the PC's as you suggested.

I have file and printer sharing on in the iMac.
Non of the PC's can "see" the iMac on the network and at the moment, the iMac doesn't see the PC's either. (that is different from last night when the mac could see the PC's but not connect to them).

Is there more info I can provide?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is there more info I can provide?

OK, and thanks for that, but I have no knowledge about Windows and sharing these days, and it can even get a bit goofy just getting some Macs to share stuff properly.

Hopefully some other member will provide some info, but meantime, I'd do some web searching for your networking and sharing problems.

Good luck.

And maybe this cold help:
How to wirelessly share files between a Mac and PC
https://www.imore.com/sharing-files-between-mac-and-pc

Or a bunch of suggested hits for more via:
https://www.google.ca/search?client...F-8&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=OKGtWsPZJPHe8AeGlabQBQ

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
OP
P
Reaction score
I got this resolved. I needed to do Command-K and connect to eack of the PC's. Once I entered the user name and password for each system I was able to share files both ways.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I got this resolved.

Good to hear and thanks for your feedback and solution.

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.