Recording/Editing stereo audio files?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, SSD, 8GB RAM
What do you recommend for editing wav-like files? The mac version of Soundforge, in a way... I don't need something as robust as ProTools, I just want to use either an external mic or the built-in one to record simple audio and screw with it. I also want to be able to screw with a bunch of my old wav files to make them system sounds ("What is thy bidding, my master?" on start-up, etc). Plus my band records to minidisc at our studio, so I need to be able to record the stereo output from that into this software, then do the fade-outs, etc.

Also - I have the intel MacBook Pro, so preferably something with a universal binary would be awesome! Thanks or any suggestions...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac, 15" Powerbook G4 (sold), 20GB iPod (nearing death)
garageband that comes with OSX should work fine. It's actually a prettey decent recording and sequencing utility.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, SSD, 8GB RAM
Garageband will record stereo input? I thought it would do one track at a time... (meaning left or right)

Cool! Thanks! I need to figure it out now <sigh>

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac, 15" Powerbook G4 (sold), 20GB iPod (nearing death)
it can record stereo input on a single track, and if you have some sort of splitter and a 2 input audio interface you can do seperate track stereo recording. if you need info on a specific technique just PM or post it here...audio recording is my specialty.

A

anupam1008

I just downloaded a program called 'Audio Recorder 30' from versiontracker.com - basically the 1st freeware that comes up when you search for 'audio record'.

you have to download another small freeware plugin with it called 'lame framework.zip' -- just google it to get a download link. All you have to do is to copy this downloaded folder into the package contents of the previously downloaded 'audio recorder' and Viola!! everything you play through the line-in can now be recorded in MP3 format as well !! It is working well for me - though today is the 1st day of using this, I am sure I will discover new bugs as I go along with it.

hope this helps.

using: iMac with Intel dual core on Tiger 10.4.7

Reaction score
Take a look at Amadeus II. Very easy to use recorder/editor with lots of nice features to it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.