Finally I made the SWITCH!!! But Needs Some Help with my New MacBookPro and OSX.

10-Dee-Q

Finally i made the jump, Selling my "old" troublesome Acer Ferrari 4005WLMi, and get myself, a brand New Apple MacBookPro 2,0Ghz With 2G of RAM.

Well, actually i did'nt intend to upgrade to 2G RAM, but since the shop is having an offer , so I get free upgrade to 2G RAM and free Microsoft Office 2004 :p

Actually this is my second MBP, the first one i have a bad build quality, there's gap between the casing and after using about 2 hours or so, the gap is getting bigger, and also the machine runs very hot. Go back to the store and get it replaced, so far so good, no gap in the casing and it did runs quite cool
after 3hour or so, the MBP is just barelly warm.

Anyway this is my first mac ever, i'vee been wanting to try mac from long time ago, but i afraid if i dun like it , then it will be difficult to sell the machine cause mac is not so popular in my country.
and actually i've been looking at the Acer TM8204 , but since i knw that MBP can runs in WinXP, then I said , why not.
i can always use the MBP to runs on WinXP if i dont like the OSX :p

Anyway i got few question to ask mac expert here, :
-Do i Need to reformat the MBP ? cause if i buy a WinXP notebook, normally first thing that i would do is reformat, change to NTFS, partition the HD, install anti virus and Zone Alarm, etc. But i have no idea what to do with my MBP. can any Mac expert tell me ?
-What is the essential softwares for mac ?in WinXP, i'll have MS Office,Zone Alarm,Kapersky Anti zvirus,ACDsee,NERO,etc. What will i need in Mac OSX ???
-Whar is the best mac user forums outthere other than of course this great forum :p

another question is that i want to install XP through bootcamp on my MBP, and i'm wondering what partitions will be best for it .
i'm thinking since i have 100G HDD, i want to partition it like
-20G mac OS
-10G Win XP
-All the rest for data (wil this partition able to be read and write by the 2 operating system?
or is there any betterway to partition it ?
i want my Data to be able to be read and write by both OSes and also In my previous Windows machine , i always seperate the partition for OS and data , cause you know, when windows crash, they can bring the data with them.
I don't know what is the correct way for OSX.

Another thing is there any software for mac that can edit MP3 (cut,minimize,edit) for use in the Handphone, like Nero in windows >?
and is there any software that can edit digital picture easilly like those ACDsee in WIndows ? cause i don;t know how to use advance program like adobe or corell, i just need smple editing such as cutting and resizing, thx .

THX, I'll post some review afterwards and i'll also put the pics of it side byside with my old Ferrari :p
thx :p
INSTALLING boot camp right now :p

anyway i want to be a mac user , please help me here with a little guidance :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
10-Dee-Q said:
-Do i Need to reformat the MBP ? cause if i buy a WinXP notebook, normally first thing that i would do is reformat, change to NTFS, partition the HD, install anti virus and Zone Alarm, etc. But i have no idea what to do with my MBP. can any Mac expert tell me ?

all you need is to turn it on:)

-What is the essential softwares for mac ?in WinXP, i'll have MS Office,Zone Alarm,Kapersky Anti zvirus,ACDsee,NERO,etc. What will i need in Mac OSX

all you need is already bundled with os X. except office.

-Whar is the best mac user forums outthere other than of course this great forum :p

there are many, but not a useful as this one:)

another question is that i want to install XP through bootcamp on my MBP, and i'm wondering what partitions will be best for it .
i'm thinking since i have 100G HDD, i want to partition it like
-20G mac OS
-10G Win XP
-All the rest for data (wil this partition able to be read and write by the 2 operating system?
or is there any betterway to partition it ?
i want my Data to be able to be read and write by both OSes and also In my previous Windows machine , i always seperate the partition for OS and data , cause you know, when windows crash, they can bring the data with them.
I don't know what is the correct way for OSX.

boot camp is out of my reach

Another thing is there any software for mac that can edit MP3 (cut,minimize,edit) for use in the Handphone, like Nero in windows >?
and is there any software that can edit digital picture easilly like those ACDsee in WIndows ? cause i don;t know how to use advance program like adobe or corell, i just need smple editing such as cutting and resizing, thx .

iLife (iPhoto, garage band)

THX, I'll post some review afterwards and i'll also put the pics of it side byside with my old Ferrari :p
thx :p
INSTALLING boot camp right now :p

anyway i want to be a mac user , please help me here with a little guidance :p

just play with it for a while, everything is very intuitive

dont know why, but my answers are suck inside the quote from you post :eek:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.