hello every one :))

Reaction score
Ok. I'm sure it's just my windows paranoia acting up on me, being a new switcher and all. However, earlier today my MBP was vibrating slightly. It was very subtle, and could only tell when my hands were on the hand rests. The computer was slightly warm, too. Not noticeable to the touch, but after sitting on my lap a while, I had a bit of a warm spot on my pants. I figure the vibrating had to either be the hard drive spinning or the cooling fan.

As I said, I'm sure that I'm just being paranoid, however, I think it would be a good idea to know exactly how hot my computer is running. I see that lots of people quote their temps, so where do I need to go, or what proggie do I need to tell me what the temp is?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
It will help if you could provide complete specs of your MBP, including screen size, model year, and macOS version? If you could also provide information on any (all) programs that were open at that time?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
And although people refer to them as laptops, they are actually portable, not laptop. They are not meant to be put on your lap to use them. There needs to be air underneath for cooling. So if you have it on your lap, or on a bed, for example, blocking the air flow, the unit will heat up, the fans will run harder. Plus, if you put it on your lap, it warms the blood flowing through your legs, can raise your body temperature to unhealthy levels.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
it warms the blood flowing through your legs, can raise your body temperature to unhealthy levels.
Hmm...don't think so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
What is not in dispute is that Apple refers to their portable products as Notebooks - not laptops.

And it is correct to say that most of them vent their heat downwards (I believe the Touch Bar versions are slightly different, but no experience of those).

They are meant to be settled on a table, the pads on their underside providing a gap for ventilation. The OP's comment
but after sitting on my lap a while, I had a bit of a warm spot on my pants.
would indicate that ventilation is being impaired.

I refuse to be drawn on claims of infertility or other injurious insults to the operator, but would suggest that overheating of the Mac might cause problems.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
As I said, I'm sure that I'm just being paranoid, however, I think it would be a good idea to know exactly how hot my computer is running. I see that lots of people quote their temps, so where do I need to go, or what proggie do I need to tell me what the temp is?

To check and/or control the fans and hence the temps, I'd suggest using Macs Fan Control.app, free:
https://www.crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control

As for hot laptops, the problem has been around for ages and sometimes some fixes of maintenance needs to be checked or done:
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/macbook-air-overheating-5-things-can/

As for the actual heat, many have resorted to using various laptop Cooling Pads that many places sell.
Best cooling pad for MacBook Pro
https://www.imore.com/best-cooling-pads-macbook-pro

or
https://turbofuture.com/computers/best-macbook-pro-cooling-pad-13-inch-top-5
etc… …

Help save burning your lap and overheating you Mac Laptop!! ;D

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Vibration sounds as if it's from the fans which come on to cool the machine if it's getting hot. As others have rightly said, a notebook is not supposed to be used on a lap or knees. If you want to do that, get a pad so that it will stay cool. I move my MBP around a lot and usually perch it on the arm of a sofa where at least one of the underside vents is, luckily, exposed. With this mid-2015 model the fans only ever seem to some on when I'm doing some complicated photo work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Vibration sounds as if it's from the fans which come on to cool the machine if it's getting hot. As others have rightly said, a notebook is not supposed to be used on a lap or knees. If you want to do that, get a pad so that it will stay cool.

I use a pressed wood (quite thin) checkerboard to do all sorts of things with pen and pencil on my lap. I don't have a portable computer, but I'm sure I could use one on that checkerboard. I should try it with my tablet. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
I use a pressed wood (quite thin) checkerboard to do all sorts of things with pen and pencil on my lap. I don't have a portable computer, but I'm sure I could use one on that checkerboard. I should try it with my tablet. :)

Anything that performs like a tabletop.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.