Connecting monitor to Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Your last post was a little confusing. I think you may be mixing some terms (you did that earlier when you referred to Image Capture as a "site" in post #5. So let me ask some questions about your monitor situation.
Finally got the screen to light up but monitor would not respond to normal inputs.
What does that mean? What "inputs" are you referring to? Did the screen display wallpaper of the desktop? Any icons? How are your displays set up in System Preferences/Displays? Does an option box open on the Monitor when you open System Preferences/Displays? What is your setting for Arrangement?
Had to put dock on left to see it.
Left of what? The Dock appears on the bottom of the monitor, will shift to a different monitor if you take the mouse to the bottom of that monitor and hover there for a few seconds or less. It will then shift back if you go to the original monitor and do the same thing. When you say "Left" that sort of implies (but does not guarantee) that the monitors are set for the MBA to be on the Left and the HP to be on the Right (in the Arrangement tab of System Preferences/Displays). And if that is correct, then you should be able to move your cursor from the MBA to the right edge, keep going and have it appear on the HP monitor. Does that happen?
Would access Safari but not Firefox. Would not access Thunderbird.
What does that mean? Monitors don't "access" anything, they display things. Does that mean that Safari would display on the second monitor but not Firefox and Thunderbird?
Signal from Mac good on other monitor and works well on old television set screen.
What "other" monitor are you talking about? Is there a third device (MBA and two monitors)? What old television set? How is that connected? Is it connected in addition to the HP monitor?
Software available for Windows but not Mac.
What software? What does that mean?

Remember, we can't see your setup so you have to be very clear about what you have going on. We can't read your mind, so you have to tell us in proper terms what is going on. We're here to help, but we can't help if we don't know what's happening and how you have things set up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini ,Mac Air Pro, iPad Mini, Apple TV
I will try to answer the specific questions brought up in the last reply to my inability to get the HPw2207 to function with my Mac Air Pro laptop. I apologize for my descriptive terms in describing my problem. After a week of trials with different setups I had gotten pretty frustrated. As I said before this HPw2207 works well connected to my Windows XP computer. I will describe what I have done as technically correct as I can.
I have a Mac Air Pro laptop with High Sierra 10.13.1. It has two Thunderbird connection slots which is where I started with a Thunderbird to VGA adapter. The HPw2207 monitor has two video connectors, a VGA and a DVI. I hooked up a VGA cable to the HPw2207. I powered up the monitor and I see a screen that says "No VGA signal" then Monitor going to sleep. Before I tried to use the HPw2207 I had an old 19" TV with an HDMI input connector and when I connect an HDMI cable to it from my Mac Air Pro it works perfectly as a second monitor screen. Since I knew I was getting a good signal with the HDMI port on the Mac Air Pro I purchased an adapter to convert the HDMI signal to VGA. I connected a VGA cable to the to the HDMI adapter at the Mac Air and connected that to the VGA connector on the HPw2207. Still no VGA signal at the monitor. I went back and reviewed the HPw2207 installation instructions and saw a place for a USB connection in addition to the VGA connection. I don't know what the function is but I added the USB cable. I was able to get a Desktop screen showing on the monitor. The desktop screen did not duplicate the screen showing on the Mac Air. There was a Toolbar across the top of the Desktop screen on the HPw2207 but the Desktop items on the Mac Air did not show up on the HPw2207. The Mac Air had the Dock with all of my Apps on the right hand side but they did not show up on the HPw2207. I went to System Preferences/Dock and I had a choice of Right side, Bottom or Left Side for the Dock location. I tried all three and the only one that showed up on the HPw2207 was Left Side. Since I now had a way connect to the Mac Air, I clicked on the icon in the Dock for Firefox. Nothing happened. I clicked on the icon for Thunderbird. Nothing happened. I clicked on the icon for Safari and the Safari site opened up. I changed resolution on the HPw2207 screen and that didn't solve anything. When I went to System Preferences/Displays I didn't see my HPw2207. The HPw2207 is just not functioning as a real interface to the computer. Very strange. Something just crossed my mind. I had the HPw2207 hooked up to my Mac Mini for several years with a VGA cable to a Thunderbird adapter on my Mac Mini. The screen was shutting down occasionally so I bought another HP 22 CWA which I hooked up to my Mac Mini with an HDMI cable and is working well. I thought perhaps the Thunderbird connection was bad rather than the HPw2207. Perhaps something went bad in the HPw2207 at that time tho it still functioned well on the Windows XP computer.
The software I was speaking were drivers that might be available. When I looked these up for the HPw2207 it showed Drivers for Windows but none for Mac. I was looking everywhere for some clue. I was determined to solve this problem but at this point I have given up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Apple portables are designated as MacBook Air (MBA), or MacBook Pro (MBP), not Mac Air Pro, just saying. Please confirm which model you have, by going to the Apple icon in the upper left corner, click on it and select “About This Mac”, tell us the model listed.

The most up to date macOS High Sierra is 10.13.3, you are still at 10.13.1, you should update before trying anything else. This probably is not the reason the monitor is not working with your MB?, but it won’t hurt to update it.

I used an external monitor with my late 2011 MBP, and sometimes would have to reset NVRAM, and/or SMC to get things working correctly.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

OP
MacInWin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Long post. I've broken it up to respond.
I will try to answer the specific questions brought up in the last reply to my inability to get the HPw2207 to function with my Mac Air Pro laptop. I apologize for my descriptive terms in describing my problem. After a week of trials with different setups I had gotten pretty frustrated. As I said before this HPw2207 works well connected to my Windows XP computer. I will describe what I have done as technically correct as I can.
I have a Mac Air Pro laptop with High Sierra 10.13.1. It has two Thunderbird connection slots which is where I started with a Thunderbird to VGA adapter. The HPw2207 monitor has two video connectors, a VGA and a DVI. I hooked up a VGA cable to the HPw2207. I powered up the monitor and I see a screen that says "No VGA signal" then Monitor going to sleep.
Probably the connector was incompatible with Mac or with the monitor.
Before I tried to use the HPw2207 I had an old 19" TV with an HDMI input connector and when I connect an HDMI cable to it from my Mac Air Pro it works perfectly as a second monitor screen. Since I knew I was getting a good signal with the HDMI port on the Mac Air Pro I purchased an adapter to convert the HDMI signal to VGA. I connected a VGA cable to the to the HDMI adapter at the Mac Air and connected that to the VGA connector on the HPw2207. Still no VGA signal at the monitor. I went back and reviewed the HPw2207 installation instructions and saw a place for a USB connection in addition to the VGA connection. I don't know what the function is but I added the USB cable. I was able to get a Desktop screen showing on the monitor.
So the monitor and Mac are communicating and working properly at that point.[/QUOTE] The desktop screen did not duplicate the screen showing on the Mac Air. There was a Toolbar across the top of the Desktop screen on the HPw2207 but the Desktop items on the Mac Air did not show up on the HPw2207. The Mac Air had the Dock with all of my Apps on the right hand side but they did not show up on the HPw2207.[/QUOTE]Yep, that's how it works as default. Second monitors are usually used as additional screen, not duplicate screen, so Apple defaults to that approach. It is settable at System Preferences/Displays.
I went to System Preferences/Dock and I had a choice of Right side, Bottom or Left Side for the Dock location. I tried all three and the only one that showed up on the HPw2207 was Left Side.
That result means that the new monitor is on the left of your main screen on the Mac. It's like the two screens were attached at the left edge of the Mac, right edge of the other monitor. That is also selectable in System Preferences/Displays.
Since I now had a way connect to the Mac Air, I clicked on the icon in the Dock for Firefox. Nothing happened. I clicked on the icon for Thunderbird. Nothing happened.
None of that has anything to do with the monitor. Something else is wrong with FF or TB.
I clicked on the icon for Safari and the Safari site opened up. I changed resolution on the HPw2207 screen and that didn't solve anything.
Yep, that's not how to do things. I'm assuming you changed resolutions on the monitor itself and not on the Mac, based on the next sentence.
When I went to System Preferences/Displays I didn't see my HPw2207.
It doesn't show up separately, it's in the Displays panel under System Preferences. And when you select Displays, the control for the HP should show up on the HP.
The HPw2207 is just not functioning as a real interface to the computer. Very strange.
Oh, yes, it is working as Apple designed.
Something just crossed my mind. I had the HPw2207 hooked up to my Mac Mini for several years with a VGA cable to a Thunderbird adapter on my Mac Mini. The screen was shutting down occasionally so I bought another HP 22 CWA which I hooked up to my Mac Mini with an HDMI cable and is working well. I thought perhaps the Thunderbird connection was bad rather than the HPw2207. Perhaps something went bad in the HPw2207 at that time tho it still functioned well on the Windows XP computer.
The software I was speaking were drivers that might be available. When I looked these up for the HPw2207 it showed Drivers for Windows but none for Mac. I was looking everywhere for some clue. I was determined to solve this problem but at this point I have given up.
Again, you are mixing terms and tools. Thunderbird is an email client, has zero connections to the monitor as hardware. Screens do shut down to preserve the screen and save power if there is no input change over a time. That's normal. It should be settable in the HP, but may not, depends on how HP implemented it.

So, look at System Preferences/Displays and you should see something like this on the Mac: 2018-03-06 10.10.25 am.png That is the main panel for controlling the displays. On the HP you might see something like this: 2018-03-06 10.10.57 am.png
If you click on Arrangement, you should see this: 2018-03-06 10.10.37 am.png
In your screen, the HP should be on the left of the Mac, not on the right as I have it shown. You can adjust that on the Arrangement screen. For more information, read this from Apple: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202351

At this point the monitor is working exactly as it should. You need to learn from the Apple article how it works and how to set it up as you want it. Good luck with it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for the detailed education. I have printed out the article "Use multiple displays with your Mac". After a few days when my nerves settle down I will go back and set up the HPw2207 for Mirror displays. I get so used to this equipment doing things automatically I lose touch with how to go thru a manual setup. I went back to my Macbook Pro and checked the Display page with my old TV connected and it shows "STD HDMI TV". I will report back when I retry the HPw2207.
A point of information: My Macbook Pro shows version 10.13.3 and my Mac Mini shows 10.13.1. When I asked the Mac Mini to Update it said I had the latest version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
How are you asking the Mac mini to update? Are you using the macOS App Store, and clicking on the Updates page? How often do you restart your Macs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I update Mac Mini by clicking on Apple icon and click About this Mac and then then click on Software updates. Restart computer every morning.

OP
MacInWin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bob, a gentle admonition: The MODs have already butchered this thread from another thread because the topic changed. Let's keep this one to monitor and if rmill777 wants to talk about updating his OS, then he should start a new thread.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your education paid off. The HPw2207 is now up and running on my Macbook Pro. The secret was the proper connection and clicking on the button for "Mirror image". I learned a lot about monitors with this experience.Thank you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.