Got a few questions

Reaction score
I just upgraded the OS and I’m having a few problems with multiple desktops. Whenever I maximize something it becomes its own desktop and if I try and open something on topthe bottom disappears as if it is in a new desktop but if I hit the key to bring up all my desktops there is no way to find that desktop?

When I open GarageBand and try and use finder to drag a file in I see GarageBand then under it I see finder but when I click on finder GarageBand disappears. It doesn’t close the application I just can’t drag to it. Why?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Need more details. Such as what version of the macOS are we talking about...and which version of GarageBand?

Stab in the dark here...maybe the version of GarageBand you have is not compatible with the macOS version that was installed.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
What options do you get when you right click on the GarageBand icon in the Dock?

Does GarageBand load up the top Menu bar, or does that stay as Finder/previous app?

OP
M
Reaction score
I have High Sierra, not sure the version of GarageBand. It doesn’t matter if it loads with the options on top or if it’s a small window as soon as I grab finder GarageBand disappears

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have High Sierra, not sure the version of GarageBand. It doesn’t matter if it loads with the options on top or if it’s a small window as soon as I grab finder GarageBand disappears

Just checked...and High Sierra & GarageBand are compatible.:)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
That’s good. But how do I get it to stay up on my screen when I try and drag audio files from finder then? Or at least where do I got to look up that info?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Whenever I maximize something it becomes its own desktop...

If you're maximizing the window...that window is taking up the whole display. It's really not it's own "desktop"...since the "real" desktop is below this maximized window.

...and if I try and open something on topthe bottom disappears as if it is in a new desktop but if I hit the key to bring up all my desktops there is no way to find that desktop?

I think you may be using the term "desktop" incorrectly. I don't think a new desktop is created...it's simply that the maximized window is preventing you from seeing the desktop beneath. The problem here is the maximizing of a window...and not being able to see the one & only desktop (which is beneath the maximized window)..

When I open GarageBand and try and use finder to drag a file in I see GarageBand then under it I see finder but when I click on finder GarageBand disappears. It doesn’t close the application I just can’t drag to it. Why?

Not exactly sure what is meant here. Do you mean when you try to open a Garageband file by dragging it into a Garageband window?

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
So I have GarageBand set to be about half the size of the screen and I have finder opened in a fairly small window to the left but as soon as I click on finder and attempt to drag a file GarageBand disappears

OP
M
Reaction score
Also I understand that if I open a program to be full screen the desktop is hidden below that application. However if I go to open any other program GarageBand is no longer there. I see my desktop image with the new program in a small window (depending on the size I last used it)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Don’t drag the file to the window, drag it to the GarageBand icon in the Dock

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
However if I go to open any other program GarageBand is no longer there. I see my desktop image with the new program in a small window (depending on the size I last used it)

You need to use Split Screen view to do what you want:

Enter Split View

Hold down the full-screen button in the upper-left corner of a window.

As you hold the button, the window shrinks and you can drag it to the left or right side of the screen.

Release the button, then click another window to begin using both windows side by side.

Use two Mac apps side by side in Split View - Apple Support https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204948

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
If you display an app in full screen view you cannot see any other app window on that desktop without closing the other. Simply do not display your apps as full screen then they will all be visible on the same desktop, albeit overlapped.
If you wish to use all of your apps full screen, open them in seperate desktops and use an app called Yoink. This appears on all desktops and allows you to move multiple items by drag and drop from one app to another by temporarily storing them on a moveable display panel.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.