HEIC Files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini,Ver.10.14.6, 3.6 GHz Intel Core i3, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
My daughter emailed photos in HEIC format and I can't open them. I found an app in the App Store called iMazing HEIC Converter. Has anyone used this app and is it worth downloading?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I haven't used that specific piece of software but I have used other software from that company. The iMazing software to back up / restore iPhones has been rock solid for me and they are routinely updating the software. Their HEIC convertor is free on their site. Of course, as you've discovered it is also in the App Store.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini,Ver.10.14.6, 3.6 GHz Intel Core i3, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
I downloaded the app and it's not working. I keep getting a message "Warning - Some files were not recognized as valid HEIC files". Now what?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I downloaded the app and it's not working. I keep getting a message "Warning - Some files were not recognized as valid HEIC files". Now what?

Are you sure they're HEIC files and not something else? Ask your daughter. Of course it's always possible that the files are corrupt which can happen when using email to send them.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They are HEIC files. I've been reading online and some articles say that iMazing is only compatible with High Sierra or above. I have El Capitan. Could that be my problem? Meanwhile I'll call my daughter.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you downloaded the free HEIC converter that I linked to above, it forks with OS X 10.8 or higher so you should be good there. The requirements I found for iMazing 2 say that it works with OS X 10.7 and higher.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I can't speak for iMazing as I do not use their converter. However, I have been using iMazing since Sierra to make backups of my iPhone and iPad. I'm sure they're different apps with different requirements. I would think if iMazing were not compatible with El Capitan it would not run at all. According to your reply above, it seems as though iMazing is working but it does not recognize the files your daughter sent you as being of the HEIC type.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I went on their website, I read a few reviews from people. One person said he also couldn't get the app to work so he renamed his HEIC files to JPG and then he could open them. So I did the same thing and now I can open them and print my photos. Strange, but it worked.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad to hear you got it resolved. Renaming them to JPG is certainly a lot easier than messing with an app which apparently is not ready for prime time. :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I went on their website, I read a few reviews from people. One person said he also couldn't get the app to work so he renamed his HEIC files to JPG and then he could open them. So I did the same thing and now I can open them and print my photos. Strange, but it worked.
Nice work. I'll have to remember that when I encounter those files. That piece of software converts them to JPEG but who knew something as simple as renaming the file would fix things?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor

Great you're sorted.

To avoid the problem if your daughter intends to send you photos in the future from an iDevice, she can Go into Settings > Camera > Formats and choose "Most Compatible". This ensures that the camera will always use JPEG/H.264 for photos/videos.

Then no problem your end.

Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.