• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Issue with Photo Booth/iMovie

Reaction score
Hey Folks, this is my first post on the forum so first off thanks for having me!

I've recently acquired a 2017 iMac and have been doing some music/video recording and editing. While editing my latest project in iMovie (version 10.1.8) I've noticed that my video clips recorded with Photo Booth are slowing down over time. It's as if the video starts in sync with the audio but starts to drag as soon as 10 seconds into the song and gets further and further out of sync. I've done one other project on the new Mac and noticed this but it was much more subtle than it is now. The playback of the video alone seems ok in Quicktime but the issue becomes very apparent after importing the clip into iMovie once I try to sync to the audio (recorded in GarageBand).

Is there a setting I'm missing either in Photo Booth or in iMovie or am I simply trying to get photobooth/iMovie to do something that it is not capable of? I don't mind getting a camera if that fixes the issue I was just enjoying the convenience of using photobooth and having the files on my computer immediately.

Thanks in advance, Andrew.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Andrew. A warm welcome to Mac-Forums.

Sorry it's taken a while to get a reply. I think that this might be that few of us take videos via Photo Booth? That includes me.

However, my impression - only that - is that videos captured in this way don't play well with iMovie.

See if the following links, mainly from Apple, and one other, help you in any way. Sorry I can't be of more assistance.

Edit photos and videos in Photo Booth on Mac
Take a photo or record a video in Photo Booth on Mac
Export photos and videos from Photo Booth on Mac
https://library.northeastern.edu/si...hments/FIELD_PAGE_FILES/2011/photobooth_1.pdf

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.