sounds gone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2017 running Mojave, iPhone 12, iPad 6th generation
this is a very odd situation.
I was backing up my MBP last night and in another room was trying to listen to something on my iPhone SE. there was no sound. So I checked settings to see if sound was on and it was. I tried to test out sound for reminder and even tho the sound was checked nothing played. the only one sound which would play is the ring tone.

I could to figure out what the heck was going on. at first I thought it had something to do with my backup in progress. so I waited till it was done. tried iPhone again and no sound. then I noticed at the top right it showed a ear phone for sound...I thought this was odd as I had not plugged any ear plugs in or changed anything along that line.
both my iPad and iPhone had this head phone icon.
after googling I discovered that I may have an issue but first to try was turn power off and back on....which is what I did. thankfully the bluetooth icon appeared and the headphone icon was gone.

to make this even more odd...I had my old iPhone 5s which I was giving to a friend. when she arrived we powered up so she could see what main screen looked like. I told her she needed to go to service provider for another SIM card and they would trfr all info from her old 4 to the 5s.
I had issue with old 5s whereby I spilled some liquid on it and got it working again but putting it in some rice to dry out. HOWEVER, the microphone plug would not work anymore but that was not an issue for me. so I did nothing about it.

could turning on the 5s with my iPhone SE nearby have picked up some ??? transmission via wifi ...... this seems like an unreal result.....

has anyone ever heard of this....I just wonder how it happened so I can be aware that it could happen again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Can I assume you do not have a bluetooth headset near by? I doubt the 5s had anything to do with it. Another thought - have you used your iPhone or iPad in your car with a bluetooth hookup? I do it all the time to listen to music or audio books. It just sounds like they were seeing a bluetooth sound device that they both had attached to. You would have had to set this up in the past as it won't happen unless you have paired them to it.

Otherwise I have no clue what happened.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
+1 for what Lisa said. The headphone icon is typical for Bluetooth headphones (maybe speakers too) setup. I use them all the time, and when connected, the Bluetooth icon changes.

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Lisa

Can I assume you do not have a bluetooth headset near by? I do have headset for iPhone but not turned, has been in bag nearb but it has been there for some weeks and nothing ever happened before.

I doubt the 5s had anything to do with it. that's what I figured it was way out there as a guess!

Another thought - have you used your iPhone or iPad in your car with a bluetooth hookup?
No have not used iPhone nor iPad in car with bluetooth.

I do it all the time to listen to music or audio books. It just sounds like they were seeing a bluetooth sound device that they both had attached to. You would have had to set this up in the past as it won't happen unless you have paired them to it.

Otherwise I have no clue what happened. Me too

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Did you maybe move the bag, or anything like that, where the headphones “may have” turned on, which would have connected to the phone?

Also, I have a neighbor, and sometimes, their Bluetooth speaker/device shows up and my iPad attempts to connect.

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you maybe move the bag, or anything like that, where the headphones “may have” turned on, which would have connected to the phone?

Also, I have a neighbor, and sometimes, their Bluetooth speaker/device shows up and my iPad attempts to connect.

no I did not move or touch the bag...it is an earphone headset I can wear while on my iPhone...which I have yet to use.
it requires a firm push to turn on so that can't be the issue.
none of the 3 bluetooth items listed on my phone are connected at all.

this is a mystery.....I have it fixed for now and will try to remember what I did if this happens again.

thank you all for your suggestions!

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Be damned if it didn’t happen again.... the headset I put in another room. I did check on my system under Bluetooth and it is not connected ..... can’t figure it out... however am much smarter now and realize it much quicker and turning phone/iPad off—on does the trick.

Just frustrating cuz if it happens and I don’t see it right away I miss calls/texts.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.