MacBook to use with Affinity Photo?

Reaction score
Hello all. I tried doing a search but didn't really find the info I'm looking for.

I'm considering buying a MacBook for portability to do some basic photo editing. I am currently using Affinity Photo on my iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014). I did max out the memory on the iMac after i bought it. Satisfied with that setup for use at home. Looking for suggestions for field use. I am leaning toward a MacBook Pro because they seem to be more rugged than the MacBook Air. I would say 90% of my work is done in the Develop Persona (Lightroom for Adobe users). Cropping, exposure, color, and light adjustments. The sites I post to with my bird and wildlife photos don't want heavily "Photo Shopped" pictures. I also prefer the natural environment look for the prints I make for home and friends.

So the question is what would fill my needs? I don't want to fight lack of speed and/or storage space. On the other hand I don't think I need they latest and greatest jaw dropping performance with the accompanying jaw dropping price tag. Is the 13" up to the task? What would be acceptable processor speed, memory, and disc capacity? As for the disc space, I will be keeping my photo library on external drives. The disc on the MacBook would only contain a "working" library.

Thanks for any input.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Just as an FYI, 13” MBP models only have dual core processors, 15” models have quad core processors. That is very measurable, working with large data files.

I would say a 2015, or newer model would be the minimum to go for. More ram would of course carry higher cost.

You could always get a portable external drive, if you work for long times away from home (your iMac).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.