Time Machine Lost

Reaction score
Upon update to 10.13.3 a message said i could not use my backup disk (Toshiba 1TB, usb.) It will not mount and disk utility will not recognize it. I tried to erase it and it can't find it. When I plug it in it poles, blue light flashes. Do I have a dead drive or is it worth saving and how?

 Machine Specs: 27" iMac | 8GB DDR3 SD Ram | 1TB Drive | | Magic Mouse 2 | Apple Keyboard | macOS High Sierra 10.13.3

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How old is the Toshiba drive? You could have had a coincidental failure of the drive and not related to High Sierra. Sometimes a major macOS update will set off an internal drive to fail because of all the additional activity when updating, however, that would have nothing to do with an external drive failure.

If your Toshiba drive will not mount at all, no software is going to be able to read from it. And the cost of software such as Drive Genius or Disk Warrior is as much as replacing the drive with a new one. Besides, a drive that has failed is not safe to use for any future backups. If the drive is still under warranty you may be able to get a RMA from Toshiba.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
To add to what Chscag mentioned...when was the last time you successfully accessed this TM drive? As Chscag mentioned...maybe this issue is only coincidental with the OS upgrade/update...and maybe the drive failed prior to this.

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
TM had backed up to the drive the same day I updated to new OS

Thank you for your help

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.