• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Photos Question

Reaction score
Hey All

Hope this is the best place to post things, figured those that deal with movies regularly on a Mac are those I am looking for some help from.

I Have used Photos and before it iPhoto for years and always had no problem uploading things from the SD card on my camera. Sure over the years the quality (and thus size) of my videos have improved with technology, but the process had all been the same.

It seems now that when I try to upload things from the SD card it will have no problems recognizing the Photos but not know to upload the Videos. I than go to look at just the SD card by itself in a finder window and I can't see the Videos there either. Yet when the video card is in my camera, it is clear the videos are there. The video format I shoot in is AVCHD. (This has always been the case)

Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong?

THanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong?

Here's a oldie suggestion, but it may still work:
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1927767/videos-camera-showing-mac.html

And some other hits to look at:
https://www.google.ca/search?client...F-8&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=9ziTWtCwIsXM8geau7SQDA

PS: Do they show if you try using Image Capture.app in your Applications folder?

Or try connecting the Camera with the SD card installed to your Mac if you can, and also try using Image Capture.app or whatever might work.

- Patrick
======

Last edited:

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Jayne

I agree with Patrick.

Getting video into Photos can be erratic, unlike photographs.

The best options that I've found are, in no particular order:

1. Attach the camera/device/iPhone etc directly to the Mac via USB lead (not through Hub). Open Photos app and use the File > Import method.

2. Attach camera as above and go to Applications > Image Capture app

You will see this window:

S1.jpg

The Red arrow is the name of your Device. Click on it to disclose all your photos and videos. Select all those you want to import.

The Yellow arrow points to where you want your items stored. If Photos app is shown, then Click on Import All/Selected

If something other than Photos app is shown as the destination, click on the arrows and you will be given these choices:

S2.jpg

Choose Photos app (or anywhere else you want) and then Click on Import All/Selected

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Videos from my camera SD card usually upload but none sync from my phone. I use AirDrop.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.